Greyhound Racing Banned in NSW

just heard a breaking news story on ABC radio saying the NSW govt will ban greyhound racing as of mid next year.

as an owner of an ex racer but not in nsw i will watch with great interest this story as it unfolds.

Message 1 of 215
Latest reply
214 REPLIES 214

Re: Greyhound Racing Banned in NSW

Why not look at it the facts as they are David.

You are part of the pet industry. You are an owner. You have noted that fact many times

The pet industry destroys more pet souls (dogs, cats mice rats horses, ferrets etal) than the greyghound industry could ever imagine

too just because an owner could not be found ie the pets are just not lovable enough.... ie wastage in NSW = 70,000 souls per year minimum

as per your previous posts regarding conscience.....

To keep your conscience clear you need to remove yourself from that industry right now.

If you do not then your double standards are duly noted and any argument you may make regarding the greyhound industry I would

consider bluster.

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 111 of 215
Latest reply

everyone is entitled to an opinion.

i dont agree with yours but i will fight to the  death so you can have it

well maybe not death but a very bruised ego. i think ive got one somewhere.

Message 112 of 215
Latest reply

Do you actually own a racing dog atm David? If you do I'd be inclined to agree with c2b.

At the same time I do commend you for your passion towards the greyhounds, and bringing awareness to people is very important. And if you are in the industry, I'm sure there are others like you who want to minimize the unnecessary loss of lives.

I understand it breaks your heart to think of such beautiful animals being killed because their owners can only afford to keep the ones that make money.

Which is something to consider, i could imagine there would be money to made in greyhounds at the same time it's extremely competative and some owner/trainers would be really doing it hard. It's no excuse but before you condemn something so vehemently you should analyze all angles of the issue. because it's obvious you have an extremely emotional attachment and bias towards the dogs. You have to understand some don't... doesn't mean they are evil people that are just impartial to them. Breeders and Farmers need to be like that otherwise they'd spend their whole lives bawling like babies every time they lose an animal.

Business is brutal for animals... everything from dairy farming, fish farms, meat farming, horse racing, pet shops, the circus, puppy farms, abattoirs, it's exploitation at its pinnacle...

But it's livelihood for some people, and I'm sure most trainers treat their dogs well while they are alive and I'm sure there would be exceptions, but those dogs wouldn't suffer long horrible painful deaths..

And even those whose lives are cut short, I can think of many different dog stories that prove the life of most racers is pretty good, given nothing but the best food, handled everyday, socializing with other dogs, being trained properly and housed well and having the opportunity to run around with heaps of other dogs. Compare that to the life a dog who is just left in the backyard for its entire life...
Message 113 of 215
Latest reply

you should read all my posts so you wouldnt need to ask some simple questions.

yes i own 1 exracing greyhound, the only greyhound i have ever owned.

no, i'm not in 'the industry' that being the greyhound racing industry. i'm not involved with anything to do with breeding or selling or gambling on animals

not a member of any animal welare groups of any sort.

we arnt talking about a few slow dogs being put down in greyhound racing. how many exactly isnt known as 'the industry' flatly refuses to tell anyone. but even the 'industry' admits its in the thousands from birth until they turn 4 years old.

4 years old to most dogs is just reaching maturity.

you say the life of 'most' racing dogs is 'pretty good' another issue the 'industry' wont tell anyone is how many injuries happen during races, including fatal injuries.

my exracer who raced for 2 years once a week has many scars on his body, one very large one on his side.his legs and feet are just covered in healed scars.

yes, there are many cases of animal cruelty in our country. many people would lose their jobs if it was all stopped. i'm not a crazy person, i only wish to halt the killing of animals for the fact they cant entertain us as they were born to do.

Message 114 of 215
Latest reply

If your ex racer has so many scars then I would suggest that he was one of the unlucky dogs that had a bad owner.

By far the vast majority of racing dogs do not get scars like that.

Message 115 of 215
Latest reply

now who is pointing and calling a bad owner trainer without any evidence? his owner trainer may have been good bad or average i dont know but he forked out the fee to get foo rehomed so not a complete mongrel.

i will try to find out if the scars on my foo are common or not. i will contact GAP for an answer.

ive never been to any of the GAP get togethers so i havent seen any other exracers up close.

if you type 'greyhound accidents' into utube theres some very nasty videos. i cant watch them.

Message 116 of 215
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

you should read all my posts so you wouldnt need to ask some simple questions.

yes i own 1 exracing greyhound, the only greyhound i have ever owned.

no, i'm not in 'the industry' that being the greyhound racing industry. i'm not involved with anything to do with breeding or selling or gambling on animals

not a member of any animal welare groups of any sort.

we arnt talking about a few slow dogs being put down in greyhound racing. how many exactly isnt known as 'the industry' flatly refuses to tell anyone. but even the 'industry' admits its in the thousands from birth until they turn 4 years old.

4 years old to most dogs is just reaching maturity.

you say the life of 'most' racing dogs is 'pretty good' another issue the 'industry' wont tell anyone is how many injuries happen during races, including fatal injuries.

my exracer who raced for 2 years once a week has many scars on his body, one very large one on his side.his legs and feet are just covered in healed scars.

yes, there are many cases of animal cruelty in our country. many people would lose their jobs if it was all stopped. i'm not a crazy person, i only wish to halt the killing of animals for the fact they cant entertain us as they were born to do.

Oh sorry, I realized that you owned a greyhound, I must've missed the bit on how you aquired it...  And you speak with such authority on the greyhound industry, forgive me for assuming that you'd had more to do with it.  

And yeah I get it, too many dogs are unecessarily killed.  Too many animals are killed period. Hopefully more people like you can band together to force the industry to change it's ways...

Message 117 of 215
Latest reply

thats ok

no i'm definately not an authority on greyhound racing, never even been to a race

i have tried to read as much as i can both before i adopted foo (my greymate) and definately since. i knew bugga all about greyhounds really before i adopted, if it wasnt for burkes back yard doing a pet report on exracing greyhounds i doubt id have ever got one.

i just see an industry that relies on winning dogs to keep afloat and its pretty obvious nearly everyone wants a winning dog and not every pup grows up to be a winner.

its not unlike cat and dog show animals, the breeders breed to produce winners, to get that coverted sach or cup for grand champion. not every kitten or pup will be a show winner, however as far as i know the show industry is able to sell their 'wastage' as pets. i have a purebread burmese cat, not a show winner but still purebread.

unfortunately the greyhound industry has been out of control for a long time breeding dogs as fast as they could and as no one was looking they were able to just dispose of the 'wastage' and no one said boo about it. its just the way it is would be the talk i guess.

i asume that since the news of the live baiting broke the industry has been doing a hell of a lot to change how they do things, like throwing huge amounts of cash at the GAP people to try to rehome many more dogs. and i have heard talk of trying to reduce breeding. 

my view is and will allways be, wastage must be zero, or near as. no more can they just put greyhounds down because they are not fast enough to win or place and cant be rehomed.

in order to rehome the thousands of excess greyhounds just about every person who wanted a pet dog would need to suddenly choose greyhounds at present i rekon. then what would happen to all the other breeds? really its such a huge problem, if you fix the greyhound problem you get a new problem somewhere else.

i really cannot see how the industry can reduce the dogs being bread to the point where there isnt a rehoming problem and the gambling can still go on.

my very first post said i would follow the banning story with great interest and i am. as much as i love my foo, i hate what we are doing to this lovely placid dog in the name of entertainment and gambling.

i wonder if it was discovered there were mass graves of racehorses that didnt make it or that some trainers were using electric shock treatment to make horses run faster would we be seeing the same outrage as we are seeing over greyhound racing. i think we prolly would.

Message 118 of 215
Latest reply

David you have already been told the Thoroughbred horses that do not race or are ex racehorses usually are retrained into other branches of the horse industry.....show horses, cross country, jumping and eventing.

Even racehorses are shown in the show ring at the Royal Easter Show in Sydney.

And batteries in whips have long been illegal.

Message 119 of 215
Latest reply

i am not refuting your saying there is no mass graves in thouroubred horse racing, i honestly do not think there are.and i definately do not believe anyone is using electric shock treatment.

my point was IF instead of greyhound racing similar footage had been made public regarding horse racing would the public be alarmed as they were/are with the relevations of whats been going on in the greyhound racing industry?

if you or anyone else thought i was saying i believed there was any killing of horses going on i do not.

i opologise if i gave that impression. it was just a comparison of 2 similar industrys, one doing the right thing the other the wrong thing.

Message 120 of 215
Latest reply