Happy Australia? Invasion? Survival? day all :)

lobs211
Community Member

I always fail at trying to talk about Indigenous stuff cos it always turns nasty - still not sure why that is...............

Anyway my little family making plans to celebrate Survival Day - yeah yeah SURVIVAL DAY - we celebrate we survied & are here but more importantly culture has survived, besides best efforts to kill it and us off

Now before the usual lot carry on and all the same old "get over it" blah blah blah - I wonder if you would consider something? Just think about this for a minute then on u go with ur day 🙂

Just imagine that when the japanese were bombing Aust, just imagine if they took over Aust, say Feb 9th 1942. Just imagine that for a minute. Japanese ppl all moved into your houses, you could ONLY speak japanese etc ect, not even gonna talk about killing babies, taking women, stealing children - just imagine they took over. And you are NOT happy about it 😞

Would you celebrate Feb 9th? They tell you its the day the country was made great, the best day, the day you will celebrate EVERY year? Would you do it??

Hmmmm?

We do celebrate it, I choose not to call it Invasion Day, I choose to call it Survival Day and we will celebrate it.

We are back out bush until the 27th so HAPPY Jan 26th - whatever you wanna call it, stay safe everyone and I can come back in here tonight and when in town - haters gonna hate but it would be cool to have a conversation without the **bleep**??

Message 1 of 88
Latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

Re: Happy Australia? Invasion? Survival? day all :)

@**meep** wrote:

@nevynreally wrote:

@**meep** wrote:

Do you mean set another day for the Acknowledgement Day?

I wouldn't have a problem with it. Perhaps Lobs could suggest a day (if there is one) of significance?

National Sorry Day is on the 26th of May.

Maybe that's it then.

Message 71 of 88
Latest reply

Mayflower Day?

Mayflower Day celebrates the date the Mayflower sailed from Plymouth, England to America. On September 16, 1620, 102 men, women, and children set sail from Plymouth, England. Their destination was the New World, where they could have religious freedom, and continue using their native language, culture, and customs.

Creator of the Most Awesome Thread Topic EVER

*ibis
Community Member

columbus day

Message 73 of 88
Latest reply

@bluecat*dancing wrote:

The day on which Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are recognised in the Constitution would make a perfect Australia Day.

That's on the agenda, a priority according to Bernadis and I like your suggestion.

Message 74 of 88
Latest reply

Mayflower Day......that's it.

Message 75 of 88
Latest reply

@lurker17260 wrote:
Mayflower Day?

Mayflower Day celebrates the date the Mayflower sailed from Plymouth, England to America. On September 16, 1620, 102 men, women, and children set sail from Plymouth, England. Their destination was the New World, where they could have religious freedom, and continue using their native language, culture, and customs.

Yeah, and helped the pathway to the destruction of the Indigenous peoples there. Not a good example.

Message 76 of 88
Latest reply

@**meep** wrote:

I agree but it is still a significant day in Australia's history, so what do we do with it?   The First Fleet Day?   What do the Americans call it.....its on the tip of my tongue....

Columbus Day?  Independence Day?

Message 77 of 88
Latest reply

@nevynreally wrote:

@lurker17260 wrote:
Mayflower Day?

Yeah, and helped the pathway to the destruction of the Indigenous peoples there. Not a good example.

My point was, what do we do with the 26th of Jan?

Message 78 of 88
Latest reply

@**meep** wrote:

My point was, what do we do with the 26th of Jan?

Why can't we keep it? Celebrate living here, not where we came from, or how long we've been here? 

I don't believe it celebrates the invasion of this country. But that may just be me. I have no problem with having a Day for the Indigenous people to acknowledge the immigration of Europeons changed their lives in whatever ever way that they chose to.

Message 79 of 88
Latest reply

I hope you enjoy the day, Lobs, and I'm happy you & your family are getting together.

I usually avoid these types of threads

Afaik they already asked around aboriginal communities about changing Australia Day and they decided to leave it on the 26th. Every Australian celebrates in their own unique way.

Message 80 of 88
Latest reply