Harvey Weinstein: Me Too!

Harvey Weinstein: Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie join flood of allegations; Hillary Clinton 'appalled'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-11/harvey-weinstein-gwyneth-paltrow-angelina-jolie-speak-out/9036...

What is it with women?

NOW your saying all these things about the guy?

Where were you before the S**T hit the fan?

not saying hes not a creep, just i hate when AFTER someone gets outed then they come out of the woodwork saying "yes, i know hes a really bad man"

its like Bill Cosby and Rolf Harris all over again.

any "STAR" who now comes out and says they knew of this guys sexual power trips before he was sacked and it hit the the front pages has no credibility IMO!

Message 1 of 44
Latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

I imagine that's why men like him get away with it for so long. They use their power to abuse these women in knowing they would be unlikely to do anything because of the consequences to their career. I think it's called workplace bullying and sexual harassment. Then some brave woman says enough is enough and speaks up. This motivates other victims to speak up too, but their credibility is questioned because it's after the event. I guess being a victim has rules, despite the intimidation, pain and trauma, and your credibility will be questioned if you don't follow those rules on time!

Message 2 of 44
Latest reply

Sexual abuse can be an embarrassing thing but from the report, I would say it sometimes was more sexual harrassment-trying to persuade some women to go to his room. That might be unwelcome attention but not a crime. A lot of youger women get slight 'accidental' touches on breasts and backside from time to time too. I'd say a lot of men know how to be a little offensive without taking it to the level where they are likely to get charged. Although probably a lot of them are a little more careful now because sexual harrassment is the crime under the spotlight these days.

If it happens to a woman-How far to take it?  Depends on the level of assault but I would say it was common for nothing much to happen in the past. However, rape definitely is a crime.

I know the man was sacked but what i would like to ask is what of the 16 executives who were well aware of his conduct and are still working for the company?

Remember all the scandal about Catholic priests, where other priests who did nothing wrong themselves sometimes moved troublesome priests on rather than go to the police about reports? And all the outrage that sparked on media?

But when it comes to outrage when the same thing happens within the media circles itself, that outrage almost always melts like snow in summer. If it is there at all.

Plenty of personalities came out after Rolf Harris was accused and said it was well known what he was like. Did any of them face charges for not reporting anything to police? No, the media didn't even chastise them.

Message 3 of 44
Latest reply

in a lot of situations i know coming forward to expose creeps can be very difficult,

but in this instance we are seeing very high profile actresses comming out making statements.

paltrow, jolie, streep and others are not struggling artists and are not unknown to be very outspoken on just about everything. i just dont buy the 'they were too frightened' to come forward.

if they knew of this guys bad behaviour they should have been leading the charge not jumping on the bandwagon now.

if only they were saying 'we had no idea' of his filthy ways with up and comming girls in the business or we would have spoken out.

but no, they are recounting stories of how they knew about what he was doing.

Message 4 of 44
Latest reply

womblewa
Community Member

Other people making judgements about them, the victims, is pretty much STILL the reason why women didn't speak up and still don't when things like this happen to them. 

Am hardly ever moved on these forums to comment, but I think your comments David perfectly elucidate WHY women have found strength in numbers, and have come forward now, not before. 

Doesn't matter who you are, how much of a star you are (or not) - telling others that this happened is recognition of your vulnerability - and noone amongst us really copes well with feeling vulnerable. 

I know you are moved to comment on all sorts of trivia on here David, but this is not trivia, never will be, and this still happens to women (and men I guess), all over the world - with the same outcome for years, if not for ever often - silence.  Perfectly understandable IMO. 

Message 5 of 44
Latest reply

They weren't high profile stars when the abuse occurred, they were young and vulnerable actresses who knew damn well that if they complained they'd be laughed at, told to 'get over it', acquire a reputation for being 'difficult' andquite possibly never get offered  another role 

Message 6 of 44
Latest reply

so you saying they were only worried about the career not the fact that they were sexually assulted? they should should have reported him as soon as it happened. NO EXCUSES.

Message 7 of 44
Latest reply

@bsal6160 wrote:

so you saying they were only worried about the career not the fact that they were sexually assulted? they should should have reported him as soon as it happened. NO EXCUSES.

And then? The young woman aspiring to a career in movies never works again? and nothing happens to the accused anyway because he is a big shot in Hollywood and the accuser is some nobody who is just trying to attract attention?

Put yourself in their place for a moment. What would you do? Honestly?

Message 8 of 44
Latest reply

@bsal6160 wrote:

I also said they feared they would simply be laughed at and told to 'get over it'.  You only have to recall Donald Trump's 'grab 'em by the **bleep**' locker commnt to know how young women (were) and often still are treated in the entertainment industry.  

Message 9 of 44
Latest reply

It depends on the level of assault. I forget who it was in the report now but one woman did confront him in a sting operation and asked why did he touch her breasts & although he admitted it & kept asking her to go with him, there was not enough on the recording to charge him with anything.

In other words, he was a sleaze but convicting him of more than that was difficult.

Paltrow says he tried to talk her into giving him a massage in his room. Again, not a crime.

The feeling I am getting from some of  these actresses is that they found him sleazy and trying to use his position to harrass them a bit but he didn't necessarily attack or force them into anything.

The ones I would most question are those who say he forced oral sex on them or forced them to perform it. Why would they not go to the police?  By 1999 & 2004, the media was already in full flight over sexual predators so there was no reason for them to doubt charges could have been laid.

So the question in my mind is did he actually 'force' it or did he strongly pester them & they felt they needed to give in to further their career? If so then it doesn't change the sleaze factor but they have to shoulder some of the blame for not sticking to the 'no' word. If physical force was involved, different story but they should have gone to the police.

Jolie does not say what her bad experience was but it was enough for her to 'warn others' not to work with him. But we won't see the media demanding or asking why she didn't do more. So in that much I agree with you david, some of them knew, and certainly a lot of executives knew but went into damage control. But will they get a please explain? I doubt it.

Message 10 of 44
Latest reply