Herpes Unleashed On Murray River Carp

Millions of European carp plaguing the Murray River will be destroyed under a control plan funded in the federal budget.

The $15 million National Carp Control Plan to unleash a herpes virus on the nation's worst freshwater fish pests should kill them off - without affecting other river life - by 2045, News Corp reports.

European carp, dubbed "the rabbit of the river", are huge breeders that are responsible for bringing native fish stocks in the Murray River to the brink of extinction.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/31483325/herpes-unleashed-on-freshwater-fish-pest/

Reckon givin' em cold sores'll stop 'em? Ay?

Darn good sock
Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

That sounds really dangerous to me.  I wonder how the virus will only affect carp and none of the other fish/creatures that live in the Murray river.  Some more info would be good 🙂

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Sounds as helpful as bringing in the cane toads to get rid

of the beetle that was destroyng the sugar crops

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Good freakin' grief Woman Surprised

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

It will probably work as well as rabbit "eradication" with mixy and then calici.

The release of cane toads to combat the beetles.

Fox baits.

The no control over other feral animals:

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/invasive-species/feral-animals-australia

I sincerely hope that it does work to get these pests out of the waterways but going on their previous "success"

rates the chances aren't good,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

The cartoon in today's Sunday paper the carp are swimming with a condom on Woman LOL

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

laughing4.gif

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Tas - Thats exactly what I did - then Mr F got the paper and yelled out did ya see the _________________________

The caption was:- Europran carp soon figured out a way to avoid catching herpes in the river Murray 

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Makes for a most unearthly vision doesn't it Freddie? ...  Woman LOL

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

It does Tas I scanned and copied it to post but can't find where it is now Woman Frustrated

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply