History Making Qntas Non-Stop Flight New York To Sydney

Qantas has completed the world's longest non-stop flight on a commercial airliner, flying from New York to Sydney, with 49 passengers and crew members on board.

The 16,200-kilometre test flight took 19 hours and 16 minutes, Qantas said on its Twitter account on Sunday.

Qantas QF 7879 departed New York's John F Kennedy Airport on Friday night and landed in Sydney's Kingsford Smith Airport on Sunday morning.

Forty-nine passengers, including Qantas executives, researchers, journalists, and crew members were on the flight, which was used to run a series of experiments to assess health and well-being onboard.

"This is a really significant first for aviation," Qantas CEO Alan Joyce said after arriving in Sydney.

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/new-yorksydney-nonstop-qantas-record/news-story/46386...

Hubs and I hope to go to New York next June.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: History Making Qntas Non-Stop Flight New York To Sydney

martinw-48
Community Member
Tasfluer, the future of air travel if logic takes over is dirigibles.
If flown with the prevailing winds they have very little negative impact on the environment and would allow for a relaxed enjoyable flight that would also allow for a detailed study of the environments being traversed
Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

I think you are so right about that Martin.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

Yes. true, that, Tas, re the staff fatigue, I mean. Pilot fatigue would be a concern.

My husband and I (doing the Queen, lol) actually like our stopovers on the way back from our Europe jaunts, and make it an overnight stay to explore the city we're in, stretch our legs, have a good night's sleep, etc.

Hong Kong was nice a cpl of years ago, hate to see what it's like now.

Woman Sad

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

We prefer to have stopovers too Icy .. straight through is jet lag to the extreme.

The times we have gone home (Canada) meant going through Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific.  I guess we won't be going that way again.  Not happy with the American airports or airlines via Hawaii either.  Maybe Canadian Airlines or one of the European carriers next time for us.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

I think Hong Kong will eventually settle down. Nothing stays the same forever. Look at Vietnam, a big tourist spot now. Who would have thought!! And that was a long war, not just protests.

All the same, in the short term, I wonder what the cruises are doing as a lot of them scheduled Hong kong stopovers.

I hate the whole process of flying. So many friends have had flights cancelled at the last minute, leaving them stranded. Happened to us a few years back too but luckily a couple of days out from a flight to NZ. They wanted to charge me more to go on the same flight time but the day before.Smiley Mad

And the waiting around. And the way everything is automated now. I didn't mind the old days when a human checked you in.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

That is so true Springy, it will settle down, but while all that is going on I wouldn't be game to fly through Hong Kong for the time being.  We were considering going home for Christmas via CP but we changed our plans thankfully before the Hong Kong riots started.

Even so, we would like to go a different way next time, just for the experience. 

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

You're right, I wouldn't want to be flying via HK. There's every chance a flight could be held up & no one would want to get mixed up in any of the violence either.

I don't fly a lot and every trip makes me a bit nervous, just the whole process (not the actual flying). I don't need extra worries on top of that.

I have been on a few cruises and was attracted to one that stopped at Hk and also Japan, from memory. But I'd be worried now (if I had booked it) that it couldn't follow the itinerary.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply