How about boycoting Harvey Norman ?Australias chief Winger Gerry Harvey was mainly responsible.

How about boycoting Harvey Norman ? Gerry Harvey australias no 1 wingeing  winer was mainly reponsible for the gst now applying to goods brought in under the former $1000 starting point.It's been reported Harvey who is a multi millionaire apparently was the main instigator to get the Aust. Govt to introduce new laws starting 1/7/2018 which now affects all ebay purchases from overseas.Does this    serial complainer Harvey grate on anyones  else's nerves? 

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: How about boycoting Harvey Norman ?Australias chief Winger Gerry Harvey was mainly responsible.

It can be interesting to play "Match the price" with these two. In a suburb very near to me, the two stores are 1 or 2 minutes' away from each other, so it's easy to pop in to one and request a price match, then pop into the other and ask whether they could offer a better deal.

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

Re: How about boycoting Harvey Norman ?Australias chief Winger Gerry Harvey was mainly responsible.

thebullgold
Community Member

It would be interesting if HN had to disclose the real cost to them of purchasing stock so their mark up could be scrutinsied instead of whinging about low cost of internet purchases. The cost of white goods at shops like HN is way too high.

Also a big concern if a business person has influenced a Govt decision to intrioduce GST on internet purchases. I dont remeber a vote about it happening.

Not a fan of HN

BTY my jewellery sales have died in last 6 months , any one else got major fall off in sales?

Have the customers moved to another online selling site?

thanks for any feed back re sale numbers

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

what i find annoying is businesses that tell us their prices are lowest everyday, then they have a sale selling those same items even cheaper.

of course they are still making a profit, only a fool would sell for a loss.

i too would love to see mr harveys 'books'

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

It might help if you actually understood the makeup of the Harvey Norman businesses.

The majority of them are franchises.....each section of the store is franchised to a different person.

At least 3 of the stores near me have the same franchisee in the computer section.....he is the most helpful salesman I have ever come across.and will happily bring stock from one store to another for customers.

Looking at HN's books would tell you nothing except that he gets money from the franchisees and they will have to keep paying him regardless of how much business they are doing.

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

Our local HN is okay, we have bought some things there and had exceptional service in some cases. I suppose it is like everything, depends on the particular staff.

As for the GST being charged on overseas items, I'm of mixed mind. It's a bit of a pain if it is going to apply to every minor purchase but then again, if I owned a bricks & mortar store, I'd be a bit annoyed too if overseas sellers were given a bit of an advantage over me. I'd want their items carrying GST too.

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

just wondering what does HN sell a person could buy cheaper from over seas?

apart from some computer 'parts' i cant think of much.

you wouldnt buy a washing machine or a tv or anything mains powered (wrong voltage)

you wouldnt buy a lounge or any furniture (delivery too expensive and who buys furniture without trying it first)

and yet hes the guy bleating the loudest about imports.

i buy mostly stuff unavailable locally (where i live thats most stuff) from wherever its cheapest.

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

just wondering what does HN sell a person could buy cheaper from over seas?

apart from some computer 'parts' i cant think of much.

you wouldnt buy a washing machine or a tv or anything mains powered (wrong voltage)

you wouldnt buy a lounge or any furniture (delivery too expensive and who buys furniture without trying it first)

and yet hes the guy bleating the loudest about imports.

i buy mostly stuff unavailable locally (where i live thats most stuff) from wherever its cheapest.

I would have thought that too, david, about furniture, but was in China recently & we were taken to this showroom full of furniture. Beautiful, beautiful stuff actually, lacquered. Quite bulky-coffee tables, cabinets, you name it. Hefty prices too, I might add, on some pieces. Some people were buying. I presume the company shipped it back to Australia for them.

And another place-doonas. Now, I thought people might buy a doona cover or perhaps a couple of pillow cases-but doonas, to take back in their suitcase? I would have thought-no way. Especially when we are talking of about $500 minimum.

I reckon almost half the people bought!! The company had this shrink thingy that made the parcel thinner, but all the same....

I suppose quite a few of these things would now attract GST where they didn't before?

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

Unless I( want to travel another 100kms ( or more ), HN and Mitre 10 are the only game in town.  If I check other retailers on line, I usually find their prices are much the same as HN and I dont have to travel or cart the goods home myself. 

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

Being able to have the goods delivered is a huge thing, lyhargr.

Not everyone has a trailer or the strength or wish to load goods onto one.

And being able to go in, see the goods in person, is always a bonus as far as I am concerned, especially for big purchases.

I was with a friend a few years back who was getting quotes on a fridge for her daughter. The shop matched her best price & delivery cost was $15. Best of all, they could deliver within 48 hours (this was about 5 days out from Christmas). me, I would have jumped at it but she was humming and haaing that her husband could come in to the store 3 days later, pick it up & take it to the daughter's place. A round trip of about 40-50 km at least. Madness, especially given how heavy a fridge is.I persuaded her the $15 delivery fee was a bargain.

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

Springy, I totally agree re having the goods delivered    ..... The guys our "local" HN ( 30kms away ) use are terrific, nothing is a trouble to them. In the past 4 yrs we have purchased a number of large HH appliances eg  split system, 90cm stove n range hood, fridge,washing machine plus a few other items and each time the service and delivery have been great. 

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply