How many shaves can you get out of a disposable razor?

artforartssake
Community Member

After nearly 40 years shaving with traditional razors (where you simply bought refills and kept the razor itself indefinitely) I’ve changed to the disposable variety. Reason is that I can’t find the Gillette razors in the supermarkets anymore PLUS I was getting so annoyed having to pay exorbitant prices for the refills (around $15 for a pack of five). Now I use Gillette Mach3 disposables which still cost a packet (around $9-$10 for a pack of 3).

But my question is: how many shaves could you get from a disposable razor like the Gillette Mach3? Initially I thought that they could only be used once, but somehow that seems unlikely given their cost. I am a “normal” guy (at least I think so but my wife may not agree) in my mid-50’s with a thickish stubble and I shave every second day. I only work part-time, so there’s no reason to shave daily.  

Photobucket
Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

three maybe four.. but I only use them to shave my legs.... ;\

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Around 15 to 20 with generics.

I run the blade every second/third day over my dry face.

Radiation therapy in 2011 means I have no testosterone and no anything ---nix,zero, zilch...

:^O 

Nix means no interest in sox  etc but I still love my first love ...coins.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

artforartssake
Community Member

geez, that many?

Photobucket
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Depends on how thick your facial hair is and if you have always shaved one direction.

I use disposables because I do not want to fork out $20 for 5 blades.

I tend to use one razor for one shave.

Then again I shave once a week because I work construction and really do not need to be impressing anyone.

I use Gillette sensor 3s and found they cut the best and get that spot under the nose.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

meh_too
Community Member

I use the same disposables many times. I very rarely buy them only once every couple of years.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

I use the same disposables many times. I very rarely buy them only once every couple of years.

"

For sure.

There are far better things in life than fooling with razors and other sharp tools.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Hi artforartssake, I was thinking of you 3 weeks ago as I laid in my hospital bed after surgery on my spine.

They offered me oxycodone for pain relief and I took them gratefully.

Now 3 weeks after major surgery (and with a very bad complication during the surgery) I am pain killer free because I followed the advice given in how to protect my back while recovering. I spent 8 days in hospital.

I was sent home with panadeine forte but only needed them for a week and didn't need to take the 8 a day I was allowed.

I still have some restrictions on what I can or cannot do but all is going very well.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

I also use mach 3 and use it until the colour under the lube strip starts to show significantly.

So maybe 15-20 times.

The blade dull because of air. It is the combination of water and air that dulls blades.

When not in use, the advice has been to put the blade end in a little glass with olive/vegetable oil.

I haven't done it myself but apparently the blades sharpness last a lot longer.

(Wishing you a speedy recovery bump) 🙂

image host
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

artforartssake
Community Member

Thanks all,

good to here your op went well, bump. Yes I had two discectomies within 10 days of ea other in Nov and Dec 2010 and recall what a lifesaver the oxycodone was.

My story hasn't really had a happy ending tho! The killer leg pain is gone but my back has never been the same and I have probs bending, stretching etc. To complicatre matters (altho quite unrelated) 2 weeks ago, I slipped down the stairs in my building and suffered a fracture in the fifth metatarsal bone of right foot and boy that's been absolute hell! Docs said there was nothing they could do and just have to wait for it to heal by itself. They said 4-6 weeks, sounds like wishful thinking to me

anyway back to the subject of the razors: I think I'll use mine for about 2 weeks each, about 7 or 8 shaves. How does that sound?

Photobucket
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply