How much money can be earnt on ebay before reported to tax dept.Does this include postage totals.

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

How much money can be earnt on ebay before reported to tax dept.Does this include postage totals.

Eleventy including postage stamps ......but only the ones with lottsa 'licky' ?

Message 2 of 42
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

4 1/2 thousand feedback and 10 years as a seller and you're asking now?

Ask here

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/bd-p/2500000010

Message 3 of 42
Latest reply

Message 4 of 42
Latest reply

They keep changing the amount - I think it is now $20,000 turnover (NOT profit)

Dunno if they include the postage or not - I know I have to declare it as income on my tax return, but then the postage I pay gets declared and pretty well negates it.

Message 5 of 42
Latest reply

At the $20,000 mark, ebay informs the tax department. 

You won't have to,  they'll be onto you

Message 6 of 42
Latest reply

Apparently ebay report income over 10,000 but someone at one stage suggested it's dropped to 5,000.

Income includes invoiced amounts, so yes including postage.

And if taxable then you need to deduct expenses, fees, postage etc.

image host
Message 7 of 42
Latest reply

I read somewhere late last year that it was $8,000 AUD Gross for ebay.com.au

Message 8 of 42
Latest reply

Ask your accountant.

If in doubt, declare it.

Just remember, if you haven't declared it and should have, the tax department can reassess your income retrospectively for many years. You then have to pay not only the tax due but also a fine and possibly interest. Which means all your work selling for 5 years or more will go out of the window.

Message 9 of 42
Latest reply

I'm a buyer not a seller so does not apply

Message 10 of 42
Latest reply