I love a council cleanup!

Went out this morning to buy some vegie seedlings and some colour for the garden. ON the way home noticed someone was chucking out some 50's/60's pots (which I collect and sometimes sell) so picked up 6 of them complete with some beautiful plants in them.

Regretfully had to leave the other 15 or so there cause I couldn't fit them in my car.

They would have sold between $25-$60 each on ebay - I wonder if she realised she could have made an easy $600? 

People throw away the most amazing things...

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: I love a council cleanup!

Crickey, re councils doing it to encourage clean ups before storms......we don't have them and we get cyclones. Last cyclone heaps of people where writing in to the paper complaining about neighbouring houses with junk that would be lethal when the winds picked up.
We even had a tornado pass through and cause much damage and heartache......still no talk from councils of having pick ups 😕

We do have tip vouchers but they don't work for all. They really need to be sent to the house and not the house owner.
Message 31 of 34
Latest reply

Two pick-ups a year here, and Council puts it through a cruncher as they pick it up, lounges, beds everything goes in. 

We put out a sign "you're welcome to it" don't care what Council thinks. They don't get it for another week anyway!

Message 32 of 34
Latest reply

here when they do it

they have recycle truck and trailer go around and pick up anything good.

providing people have not taken it before hand, which i would rather see than the councils profiting from it.

Message 33 of 34
Latest reply

@daydream**believer wrote:

my council says it is looting and theft to take things left out for council cleanup

Yes, so does ours supposedly "green", all for recycling, council.  I always thought that it is before the people who collect it actually sell or donate the good stuff to charity shops.  But then I saw them coming with the old garbage trucks, that are loaded from the back at low level, and the stuff is crushed as it is pulled in.   I always put all my usable stuff in my front garden week before the collection, and put a large sign against the tree on our nature strip "Please, help yourself", I tape any remotes etc to the appliance they belong to, and as things are being taken I can put out more 🙂  Once I put stuff on the nature strip, I spread it such a way that people do not need to ramage and can take what ever they want.  That way I can also get rid of more than the 2cubic m.
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 34 of 34
Latest reply