I've been on the phone again

This time I had a call from someone with a very strong sub-continental accent. The conversation went something like this:

Them: I speak to [surname] [first name]

Me: Who's calling please?

T: I'm calling from the return department of the australian federal government

M: from who?

T: return department of the australian federal government

M:what do you want?

T: I'm letting you know your are entitled to a refund of $7000 .......... (something, something)

At that point I started laughing so they hung up on me!     A bit disappointing, I could do with an extra $7000 this month Woman LOL Woman LOL

i wonder der who is going to call me tomorrow? 🙂

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

The same ones. Over and over again.

here it is usually Solar Energy, "microsoft virus department" or variant, Optus, recorded political surveys (which I place in the same nuisance value basket, as you cannot decline...it just calls back)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Why did you pass up the chance to return the federal government to whatever swamp it emerged from, and pick up $7000 as you passed Go?

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

I lived and worked in Canberra for many but I must say I never came across the Return Department.  Maybe they are some sort of parallel universe thing to the Tax Dept. Woman Wink

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Maybe eBay have expanded their new "returns' policy to include Government promises - I guess quite a few of them would come under SNAD.Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Woman LOL

I had the Modern Group doorknock today...............

don't worry I'm not here to sell you anything.

I really wanted to shut the door but didn't.................he kept talking, so much that I couldn't get a word in..............then, he took a breath............. I said I am selling and no, don't need anything thanks..............

could I trouble you for a glass of water?

Woman Indifferent

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@lurker172602 wrote:

This time I had a call from someone with a very strong sub-continental accent. The conversation went something like this:

Them: I speak to [surname] [first name]

Me: Who's calling please?

T: I'm calling from the return department of the australian federal government

M: from who?

T: return department of the australian federal government

M:what do you want?

T: I'm letting you know your are entitled to a refund of $7000 .......... (something, something)

At that point I started laughing so they hung up on me!     A bit disappointing, I could do with an extra $7000 this month Woman LOL Woman LOL

i wonder der who is going to call me tomorrow? 🙂

I got very similar I replied "That interesting that the department I work for "    She then hung up on me. 

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Phone call from someone (thick accent) probably from you-know-where (begins with I, ends in A):

"I'm phoning about a great new mortgage rate.  Could I speak to the owner of the property please?"

"You're speaking to HER."

After which I hung up.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Truly foot in mouth situation.......

I had standard replies for most who knocked on the door........(now I just tell them to go away, but back then I was more polite).....

One time  (many years ago as a young, stressed out new mum) a salesman came to the door regarding internet connection or foxtel or something along those lines - back in the days when you needed phone lines etc, so my standard stock reply was -

"Sorry, we do not have phone connected"

Worked like a treat.......

Untill one day, after I delivered my stock reply, and just as the salesman was just turning away from the door my phone rang............

I shut the door and hid!

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

lololol - bit like pretending to be on yr mobile to avoid speaking to some one - then it rings lololol
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply