Incidents and Deaths — Figures of global importance (not celebrities or entertainers)

Alexei Navalny has died.

— https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68315943.amp

According to the prison officials of the remote and savage penal colony in the Arctic Circle, to which he had recently been transported, Navalny said he felt unwell, had gone for a walk, and died.

Much of the international reaction, as well as supporters of Navalny, believe it was either a final assassination (successful after the failed attempts previously undertaken) or the result of deliberate mistreatment and refusal to provide medical care. Either way, Putin is considered to be responsible.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Incidents and Deaths — Figures of global importance (not celebrities or entertainers)

Да, список убийств длинный. It is indeed.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

Да, список убийств длинный. It is indeed.

What the heck is that supposed to mean - we speak english here.??

Cute keyboard.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Well, if Putin can poison people in London and Salisbury as well as leveling 4 apartment blocks in Russia resulting in the deaths of hundreds of Russians, then taking out Navalny in a far flung Gulag should be a cinch.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Yes, cute … and echoing twyngwyn’s comment about a long kill list.

That infamous Salisbury cathedral visit… 

And that particularly notorious previous attempt to poison Navalny with the novichok Soviet-era nerve agent applied to his underclothing …? It was always going to be a matter of time before Putin would give the next order.

My gut feeling is that Putin’s re-election being so close meant that the time had come. He wanted Navalny’s influence to be weakened through imprisonment, and then … death.

It’s opinion only.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. Putin's tried a few times to get him. I also don't know why Putin bothers with elections. If any opponents start to gain any level of traction or popularity they get assassinated!

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Putin - like all of us has a life span - he is said to be in ill health - well - now for years.

He is 71.

Perhaps the 'opposition ' - will take this on board.

Hopefully.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I doubt there is any real doubt over the cause.

When one is a dictator head of a one party 'democracy', one can do whatever one likes.

Putin can't travel to many countries, so his perspective is always going to be his Russo-centric power.

It was rumoured a few years ago he had Parkinson's. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be true.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

Putin - like all of us has a life span - he is said to be in ill health - well - now for years.

He is 71.

Perhaps the 'opposition ' - will take this on board.

Hopefully.

Yes, I remember hearing he was in poor health and not expected to live too much longer. Maybe it was just wishful thinking.

I think 4channel had a thread like this at one stage, notable non entertainment deaths.

I often think the plus side of mortality is that everyone has their day & healthy or unhealthy, they all eventually pass, so the world isn't stuck with dictators forever.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply