Interview Techniques

meh_too
Community Member

As previously posted, due to a number of incidents at work, and that some of my colleagues are less than honest, I think its time I moved on.  I don't really want to, but I am wasting my time where I am.

So here is my question - I have a good resume and skills however, I interview poorly.  I  am aware I also come across here poorly most of the time too, but the person I appear to be at interviews (and here) is not the person who does the job.

Any tips on how to approach an interview and come out not feeling like I have made a complete pratt of myself,

Thanks for any help

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Interview Techniques

The most important accessory you can have when going in to an interview is a big smile, which will make the interviewer feel that you're happy to be there. After making that good 'first impression' you should say something along the lines of "thank you so much for seeing me - I hope you can understand that I'm very nervous but I feel that my qualifications make me suitable for this job". Keep that smile on your face while you're saying this.

Bear in mind that what you want to achieve is that the interviewer remembers you out of all the candidates for the job and if you're warm and friendly (as well as brilliantly qualified) this aim should be accomplished.

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

Interview Techniques

Hi Stars, Sorry things aren't working out where you are .

In what way/s do you feel that you interview poorly ?

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

Interview Techniques

meh_too
Community Member

Hi Stars, Sorry things aren't working out where you are .

In what way/s do you feel that you interview poorly ?

I think the questions they ask are stupid, especially the scenatrio ones.  And I can never think fast enough to answer them like I know what  I am talking about.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

Interview Techniques

I am not much help as I feel the same way as you little stars, and don't interview well.

Going for an interview is like 'game playing'. 

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

Interview Techniques

I agree it's very daunting going for interviews these days.  I had a friend went for a group interview at Bunnings which involved role playing different scenarios out, she said there were mostly young people and she felt ridiculous.  Another at one of the large banks who also had to role play, seriously that would def put me off.  Some of the questions they ask as well? I also hated 12 montly reviews "where do u see yourself in five years?"......"umm hopefully winning lotto and not working here"....."what are your goals?" - "don't have any except just to do my job"...........give me a massive spell!

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

Interview Techniques

Sorry no tips...........LOL only a vent!

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

Interview Techniques

Role playing before the interview can help a lot    -  if you and a friend who plays the 

interviewer go through a whole lot of questions you are likely to get and you practise answering them.  

Even without someone else you can rehearse out loud your answers and practise until

you feel more comfortable.

Good luck.  I hate interveiws too.  .  

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

Interview Techniques

Little stars, the interviewer may feel the same way about some of the questions as you do.All I can suggest is what you probably know ..ie; try to relax ,take your time .Try not to view it as a be all and end all thing.

I've been told that if that fails imagine them in their underwear .That may have varying results though I'd imagine lol

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

Interview Techniques

I hope that it all goes well 🙂

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply