Job applications

Thought I’d share an interesting observation from another perspective.

I recently placed an advertisement for a part timer and very clearly laid out the skills required, the hours and the rate of pay and knew that I would still get applications from people who would apply regardless of their skill level, but that always happens. But the quality of the applications was really staggering.

Of the 55 applications, only three had no spelling or grammatical errors. Three! Pretty important as it is an administrative role. One of the main requirements for the role is attention to detail and good communication skills but some of them were appalling.

Without even speaking with me, two told me what hours they were prepared to work. Not, ‘would these hours suit’? Just them telling me. There were fifteen that didn’t have one of the no negotiable requirements which was a driver’s licence.

One told me that they wanted more money than what I advertised, even though I stated it could be negotiated. No negotiation, just a demand. I might say that I pay considerably more than the award and higher than the going rate. One applicant rang me the day after she submitted her application wanting to know had I made a decision yet. I hadn’t even interviewed her. I email all applicants immediately I receive their applications to advise them of the process but she obviously hadn’t bothered to read it. It was still a week before the closing date anyway.

I’ve been unemployed in the past and know what it’s like to be desperate for work but there really does seem to be a lack of courtesy and care even at the beginning of the process.

It’s just interesting to see how things have changed over the years since I started in the work force. May be I’m showing my age but I would never make demands on a prospective employer before I’d even been interviewed. 

Photobucket

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Job applications

It's probably related to the government requirements to seek work ... and apply for jobs even though you are not qualified for them ...
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Job applications

Interesting.................. I sent a job application yesterday.............         ( I don't want the job as it is 38 hrs pw but didn't say so, just praying it becomes a time share one).....              

no grammatical or spelling errors, didn't enquire about the pay rate, addressed the criteria, have the relevant skills etc..............maybe I might get an interview after all? if this is an indication of applicants

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Job applications

Thanks for the smile, the smirk, and the little giggle. Woman LOL

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Job applications

I usually expect that Katy as it is the norm. But it was the quality of all applications that surprised me. Even if they didn't want the one I advertised I wonder how they go with the ones they do want.

Photobucket

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply