Johnson & Johnson tumbles after report says it knew for decades that its baby powder contained asbes

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Johnson & Johnson shares sank 8% Friday after Reuters reported the pharmaceutical giant knew for decades that its baby powder contained asbestos.

Reuters reviewed documents, deposition, and trial testimony from at least 1971 to the early 2000s that they say showed powders and raw talc sometimes tested positively for small traces of asbestos.

Furthermore, "company executives, mine managers, scientists, doctors and lawyers fretted over the problem and how to address it while failing to disclose it to regulators or the public," Reuters reporter Lisa Girion wrote.

Johnson & Johnson's outside litigation counsel, Peter Bicks, told Reuters its findings were false and dismissed tests cited in the report as "outlier" results.

This is not the first time the company, which also manufactures medical devices, has come under fire for issues related to its baby powder.

In July, a St. Louis jury awarded $US4.69 billion to 22 women who said its talcum baby powder gave them ovarian cancer. At the time it was the sixth-largest product-defect award in US history.

Johnson & Johnson was down a little over 2% this year.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/johnson-and-johnson-tumbles-after-report-says-it-knew-for-decad...

I've not used any sort of powder for over 40 years, since it was first suspected of causing cancer.

Never used it on any babies either.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Johnson & Johnson tumbles after report says it knew for decades that its baby powder contained asbes

'n yet there are some idiots around who still smother themselves in talc 

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

The very reason I put this report on here.

I wasn't believed when I warned people.

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

I have never liked using talc, always found I felt greasy/grubby afterwards   ..... didnt use it on my children either

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

It's been banned in a lot of aged care facilities also.

Nutragena (sorry if I haven't spelt it properly) would maybe also down. It's owned by J & J.
Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

@the4masters2013 wrote:
It's been banned in a lot of aged care facilities also.

Nutragena (sorry if I haven't spelt it properly) would maybe also down. It's owned by J & J.

This is not the reason it’s banned in aged care services, but don’t let facts get in the way of a good story! 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

So why is it banned?

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

....the main reason is that it congeals in the folds and wrinkles of elderly skin, causing it to obsorb sweat, which then results in skin integrity breakdown (open wounds)  usually under the breasts, in the groin and in the armpits. 

It may also cause UTI’s...

Also, creates a slippery surface on bathroom tiles which is a slips & falls hazard. 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

With all that powder floating around, you can't tell me it doesn't settle in the lower

part of the lungs and impairs the functions of the lungs/breathing.

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

@janeababe wrote:

....the main reason is that it congeals in the folds and wrinkles of elderly skin, causing it to obsorb sweat, which then results in skin integrity breakdown (open wounds)  usually under the breasts, in the groin and in the armpits. 

It may also cause UTI’s...

Also, creates a slippery surface on bathroom tiles which is a slips & falls hazard. 

Most of that makes sense, not too sure re the UTI bit

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply