Judge bars woman with tattoo from breastfeeding

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-18/judge-bars-woman-with-tattoo-from-breastfeeding/6556086

A judge has banned a mother from breastfeeding because she got a tattoo, ruling the woman's decision to get it four weeks earlier exposed her 11-month-old baby to an unacceptable risk of harm.

Federal Circuit Court Judge Matthew Myers' decision to grant an injunction to stop the woman from breastfeeding her son comes despite the mother recording negative results on hepatitis and HIV tests.

Judge Myers said there was still an unacceptable risk to the baby because the tests were not conclusive.

The case came before the court because the baby's father raised concerns about the mother's tattoo during a bitter parenting dispute.

(there is more from breast feeding advocates etc in the article) 

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of tattoos but really!! 

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

*pepe
Community Member

@ambercat16 wrote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-18/judge-bars-woman-with-tattoo-from-breastfeeding/6556086

A judge has banned a mother from breastfeeding because she got a tattoo, ruling the woman's decision to get it four weeks earlier exposed her 11-month-old baby to an unacceptable risk of harm.

Federal Circuit Court Judge Matthew Myers' decision to grant an injunction to stop the woman from breastfeeding her son comes despite the mother recording negative results on hepatitis and HIV tests.

Judge Myers said there was still an unacceptable risk to the baby because the tests were not conclusive.

The case came before the court because the baby's father raised concerns about the mother's tattoo during a bitter parenting dispute.

(there is more from breast feeding advocates etc in the article) 

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of tattoos but really!! 

this is just ridiculous.

not only the ruling but the fact the father even brought it up!!

Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

What was the tattoo---a milk bottle.....................................Richo.

Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

There is very little info in that link and seems to be more about what breast feeding experts think, in Australia.

It's in the US, so I am left wondering what more there might be to the story. Is it a bitter ex using this to gain custody or does he have reason to use this as leverage?

Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

I don't think it was in the US was it?  I'm fairly sure it happened in Australia.  

Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

Judge Matthew Myers is definately in Australia - 

"In February 2012 Matthew Myers became the first Aboriginal Australian to be appointed to a federal court".

Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

@azureline** wrote:

There is very little info in that link and seems to be more about what breast feeding experts think, in Australia.

It's in the US, so I am left wondering what more there might be to the story. Is it a bitter ex using this to gain custody or does he have reason to use this as leverage?

its in sydney.

personally i think its just another example of the male mind thinking they can decide what is best for women.

the risk of contracting an infection is minimal, she would be more likely to catch something from a public toilet - next they will make a law that breastfeeding women need to stay home until they wean.

I hope the ruling is overturned at the appeal.

Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

@ambercat16 wrote:

Judge Matthew Myers is definately in Australia - 

"In February 2012 Matthew Myers became the first Aboriginal Australian to be appointed to a federal court".

perhaps that appointment needs to be reviewed....

Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

@ambercat16 wrote:

I don't think it was in the US was it?  I'm fairly sure it happened in Australia.  

@ambercat16 wrote:

Clearly I misread it......... sorry, going to get my eyes checked and new glasses..........

Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

the risk of contracting an infection is minimal

Maybe so, but anytime needles are involved (for anything), there's always some risk.....however slight. So I can understand why the dad would be upset. I have nothing against tats, but I'd like to know why the mother couldn't have held off a little while longer to get it until she was done breast feeding.

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply