Labor Leader John Robertson Acted On Behalf Of Siege Gunman

New South Wales Opposition Leader John Robertson sent a letter on behalf of the Lindt cafe gunman to a government department over a family custody matter, it has emerged.

The gunman was on bail for being an accessory to the murder of his former wife, Noleen Hayson Pal, at the time and was under investigation for writing hate letters to the widows of soldiers killed in the Afghanistan conflict.

"Man Monis was a resident in the Blacktown electorate and his request was forwarded in a routine manner to the Department of Family and Community Services," he said.

"The letter included all relevant information, including that he was subject to an AVO and there were ongoing family court proceedings."

Entire Article Here

You'd think his staff would have done a check on Man Monis first, before they drafted the letter for Mr Robertson to sign, wouldn't you? A quick google check would have done it. Sheesh.

The Labor leader also wrote to Roads Minister Duncan Gay in 2012 asking to him to reduce licence restrictions for Ewing Filipo, a reported bikie gang member.

And admitted to being offered a $3m bribe in 2007 but not reporting it to police.

Very poor judgement there, Mr Robertson. 

Hope you have a Merry Christmas anyway.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Soon to be Ex leader !

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Yeah, read that this morning.. Reminds me of letters/emails Barry Spurr wrote... Poor judgement as you say.
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:
Yeah, read that this morning.. Reminds me of letters/emails BarrySpurr wrote... Poor judgement as you say.

Yes, it is. A bit like abbott turning up to give a personal character reference for a child abusing priest.  Poor judgement occasionally, must be a human flaw.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

"Man Monis was a resident in the Blacktown electorate and his request was forwarded in a routine manner to the Department of Family and Community Services," he said.

"The letter included all relevant information, including that he was subject to an AVO and there were ongoing family court proceedings."

What else did he supposed to do?  When somebody from your electorate to comes for help, you try to help. 

@icyfroth wrote:

You'd think his staff would have done a check on Man Monis first, before they drafted the letter for Mr Robertson to sign, wouldn't you?

Obviously they did, and ALL info was included;  it was not up to them to make decisions; that is a job of the Department of Family and Community Services.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

@***super_nova*** wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

What else did he supposed to do?  When somebody from your electorate to comes for help, you try to help. 

@icyfroth wrote:

You'd think his staff would have done a check on Man Monis first, before they drafted the letter for Mr Robertson to sign, wouldn't you?

Obviously they did, and ALL info was included;  it was not up to them to make decisions; that is a job of the Department of Family and Community Services.

Well they didn't do a very good job did, they? It's a career-breaker for their boss.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

I feel sorry for Robertson's staff. Tech-savvy young guns who were unaware of a modern day sensation known as Google. And not one guy or gal in Robertson's office piped up and said 'slow down, I remember this guy was recently in trouble over a letter writing campaign'.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

@village_person wrote:

I feel sorry for Robertson's staff. Tech-savvy young guns who were unaware of a modern day sensation known as Google. And not one guy or gal in Robertson's office piped up and said 'slow down, I remember this guy was recently in trouble over a letter writing campaign'.

They may have felt pressured by Monis not to be labelled racists and bigots.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

@village_person wrote:

Are you suggesting that our departments should be making decision on basis what is on Internet?   OMG!  What did the letters, which were very inappropriate, but basically against the war we were involved in, have to do with this man's custody case? 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

@***super_nova*** wrote:

@village_person wrote:

Are you suggesting that our departments should be making decision on basis what is on Internet?   OMG!  What did the letters, which were very inappropriate, but basically against the war we were involved in, have to do with this man's custody case? 

What! They don't use the internet to do character checks on ppl they write reccommendations for? How do you think DOCs rejected it?

Would you write a letter of reccommendation for someone you didn't know from a bar of soap?

No? Then why would the Opposition Leader?

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply