Let them eat cake

I bought a HALF loaf of plain wholemeal bread in BIrregurra  Vic last week in the general store and it cost $6.75.   When they revived me I asked for a carry

bag and they argued over that 

Guess I'm not used to country living. 

Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Let them eat cake

Bright - I would have asked if I could Lay-By it.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Let them eat cake

ooak3
Community Member

when we went around aus a few years back we could not believe the prices 

charged for all supermarket goods, not just the local stores but the big boys as well

country people must be paying double for there groceries 

all the petrol costs to get it there i sopose 

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Let them eat cake

welcome to life outside the metro area.

i think we pay for the privalige of breathing clean (er) air.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Let them eat cake

yes David ....... theres benefits to all different places to live 

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Let them eat cake

@domino-710 wrote:

Bright - I would have asked if I could Lay-By it.

And what about the fly-buys ?

image host
Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Let them eat cake

A while back I stayed with my daughter in Hawthorn for a few days. One day, before she went to work, she gave me a shopping list and some money to go to the Supermarked and get what she needed.

I glanced at the list and at the money and quickly added up what I would have to pay at home. It did not seem to be enough money, but I did not worry, I had some cash in my wallet to pay for it all.

When I went through the checkout I was amazed to get some change from the money my daughter gave me.

Considdering that our country area is full of Market Garden growers, one wonders why we have to pay so much more than city people.

The cost of delivery makes no sense when one adds up prices per item.

Living cheaper in the country are old wifes tales.

Erica

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Let them eat cake

I live in the country my local IGA is a tad expensive, so I travel 30km each way n shop in Aldi, having a big freezer helps, save heaps this way    ...... 

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Let them eat cake

Guess we'll have to go back to having a vege plot and chooks in our backyard, and making our own bread. Like back in the old days before the supermarkets had a stranglehold on us.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Let them eat cake

@icyfroth wrote:

Guess we'll have to go back to having a vege plot and chooks in our backyard, and making our own bread. Like back in the old days before the supermarkets had a stranglehold on us.

Already do lol   .... well apart from the chooks, get them straight from the farm whenever I want them

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply