Let them eat cake

I bought a HALF loaf of plain wholemeal bread in BIrregurra  Vic last week in the general store and it cost $6.75.   When they revived me I asked for a carry

bag and they argued over that 

Guess I'm not used to country living. 

Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Let them eat cake

my MIL lives in country Victoria.  She says the price of Beans in her local IGA is often around $18 a kilo, she can drive 20 mins and they are 1/4 of the price.  Its terrible if people are getting ripped off by the local supermarket. That's the same for even major supermarkets in Melbourne, different suburbs different prices.  

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

Let them eat cake

trouble is they still get ripped of because of the crazy price of petrol they use to get to the cheaper shops

and thats often dearer in the country to, not to mention the waisted time traveling

gosh $18 a kilo i wonder if they actual get sold or just end up in the dumpster ?

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

Let them eat cake

@givemeaspell wrote:

my MIL lives in country Victoria.  She says the price of Beans in her local IGA is often around $18 a kilo, she can drive 20 mins and they are 1/4 of the price.  Its terrible if people are getting ripped off by the local supermarket. That's the same for even major supermarkets in Melbourne, different suburbs different prices.  

Most IGA stores arent all that cheap, some are worse than others, mainly 'cause they dont have the buying power of the big 3.supermarkets. If you can grow most of your own F n V, you can saves heaps plus it tastes so much better than supermarket "junk" I belong to a fresh food swap group, which saves me heaps as well.

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

Let them eat cake

@bright.ton42 wrote:

I bought a HALF loaf of plain wholemeal bread in BIrregurra  Vic last week in the general store and it cost $6.75.   When they revived me I asked for a carry

bag and they argued over that 

Guess I'm not used to country living. 

Smiley Frustrated

It wasn't a gluten free loaf was it? those are awfully dear but even a whole one of them is usually under $6.75.Smiley Sad

My goodness, I think i could stick to my diet if i lived in Birregurra!!

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

Let them eat cake

Just a plain old brown bread....      but there were

a

few diamond chips in it.   

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply