Lismore and area a tragedy unfolding

Social media reports are dire for 100's of people still on the roof, some in the roof cavities, some just floating.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/161370884384945

an example from 2 minutes ago

Bungawalbin Whiporie Road families are desperate now enter 15 hours of clinging to roof. Expected to get worse now Woodburn and Ballina are needing help. Please someone help 2270 and 2340 Bungawalbin Whiporie Road, families don't have much energy left to be on roofs any longer!!  32m

The civilian app on the link below has  coordinated 100's of rescues yesterday last night and this  morning. The SES, police and ADF resources are overwhelmed.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Lismore and area a tragedy unfolding

@tasfleur wrote:

There should be army/navy/airforce rescue helicopters there to lift stranded people from the roof.  I don't understand why they are not there yet?

The conditions were far too unsafe to fly because of the heavy rain and strong winds. But the conditions have improved and they are there now.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

Indescribably horrible to hear of the elderly residents who drowned in their own homes. They could not escape, it seems. How can this happen? Were there no friends or relatives or services that could move these vulnerable people in time?

If there weren’t the resources, this needs to be addressed for the imminent future. We need to look out for the older people of our communities. A community-based approach might be good - it could take pressure over government-run services that frankly can’t cope with all of these cumulative disasters.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

https://www.facebook.com/david.oneeglio/videos/1582489512135933

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

2022... when 1 in 100 actually = 1 in 500..... which actually = once a month ..

FLOOD WARNING # 1
MODERATE TO MAJOR FLOODING LIKELY AT LISMORE FROM EARLY TUESDAY.

Moderate to Major flooding may occur along the Wilsons River at Lismore.
The Wilsons River at Lismore (AHD) is likely to exceed the minor flood level (4.20 m) overnight. River rises to the moderate (7.20 m) and major flood levels (9.70 m) are possible from early Tuesday morning. With forecast rainfall, river levels may reach around 10.50m to 10.6m during Tuesday afternoon.

Heavy rainfall is forecast across the Wilsons River catchment from late Monday into Tuesday and Wednesday, which may cause moderate to major flooding from early Tuesday at Lismore.

If the rainfall intensifies overnight Monday into Tuesday, major flooding may occur earlier on Tuesday with levels reaching near the Lismore Levee Height (10.6 m) Tuesday afternoon. Levels are expected to remain below those experienced in late February 2022.

Further heavy rainfall is forecast over the next 24 to 48 hours which may result in further rapid river level rises and localised flash flooding. A Severe Weather Warning has been issued for the Northern Rivers and parts of the Mid North Coast and Northern Tablelands Forecast District.

The situation is being actively monitored and updated flood watches and warnings will be issued where necessary over the coming days.
Message 16 of 17
Latest reply