Lismore and area a tragedy unfolding

Social media reports are dire for 100's of people still on the roof, some in the roof cavities, some just floating.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/161370884384945

an example from 2 minutes ago

Bungawalbin Whiporie Road families are desperate now enter 15 hours of clinging to roof. Expected to get worse now Woodburn and Ballina are needing help. Please someone help 2270 and 2340 Bungawalbin Whiporie Road, families don't have much energy left to be on roofs any longer!!  32m

The civilian app on the link below has  coordinated 100's of rescues yesterday last night and this  morning. The SES, police and ADF resources are overwhelmed.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

a reply just posted to the example in the first post

they are on that list and have continuously called 000 and ses. It's been almost 20 hours these families have been stuck on rooftops with rising flood waters, out in the elements, no water to drink, no warmth, no help.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

This is truly awful and heartbreaking:

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

My elderly mum's much younger cousin and her husband, who live in a suburb of Lismore, took their boat yesterday and helped rescue dozens of people from their submerged homes. A lot were elderly and so frightened, but so overwhelmingly grateful. They were level with power lines and had to lift them to get through. At one point, the prop got tangled in the powerlines, that's how deep the water is.

It's absolutely heartbreaking seeing the photos she posted. The loss of life, both human and animal is horrendous. One dairy farmer lost ALL their cows. All of them. It's just a tragic situation.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

There should be army/navy/airforce rescue helicopters there to lift stranded people from the roof.  I don't understand why they are not there yet?

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

@tasfleur wrote:

There should be army/navy/airforce rescue helicopters there to lift stranded people from the roof.  I don't understand why they are not there yet?

I haven't caught up with the news this morning, but I believe they are on their way. That said, if it's still pouring with rain and high winds, then helicopters aren't going to be of any use. 

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

@tasfleur wrote:

The army has arrived with helicopters but the weather is still not good.  It makes rescue extremely dangerous. 

The whole event is tragic…. It breaks my heart. 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

These before-and-after photos are unbelievable: Lismore flooding: Devastating before and after photos show extent of emergency (yahoo.com)

Absolutely heart-wrenching. I didn't even think floods could get that high.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

This is shocking – so much devastation. How on earth can one prepare against floods like this?

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply