Looking for any stories of severe reaction to sudden withdrawal from Prozac.

josie_q
Community Member

Bit of challenge finding this place these days..

Would appreciate if anyone has heard of, or experienced, a severe reaction to sudden withdrawal from Prozac. Such as psychosis or severe emotional breakdown. I know someone who stopped taking their medication because they were ill. A few days later, they had a severe emotional breakdown, where they behaved totallybout of character. 

I imagine this is rare, although not unheard of. But I would love to hear some personal experiences. Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I have no personal experience with Prozac. However I am aware of a report in the US some years ago that claimed a number of homicides were committed by people who abruptly ceased Prozac. They claimed it caused extreme aggression in some people. But it needs to be taken into consideration that the people who made the claim were very anti-Prozac, and were possibly financed by a rival company.

From personal observations, I have noticed that some people who abruptly cease Prozac return to the mental and emotional states they were in prior to going on the drug. Knowledge about the person's previous states is important. The most important thing is to ensure medical supervision and a gradual reduction in dosage over time if the person is adamant that they want to stop taking it. This applies virtually to all anti-depressants as the blood levels need to be reduced gradually, or complications (some serious) may develop.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Thank you. I appreciate your reply. This was not a deliberate ceasing of it, rather they were really quite unwell and just forgot. But the emotional breakdown was way beyond the original issue, which was just the stress of a high powered job and some personal strains. The doctor prescribed it to assist with dealing with high stress levels. 

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

It is possible that the forgetfulness is related to a slip in his mental and emotional health. If the current "emotional breakdown" is pretty bad, then his health may have deteriorated since commencing the Prozac. I don't know how deeply you want to become involved, but it sounds like he needs a medical assessment.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

The forgetfulness was more just a miserable case of the flu, and not filling a prescription. He works a high powered job, and had high stress levels because of it.  Hence his gp suggesting this could help. I'm in two minds if it was appropriate. The breakdown was out of character and quite severe. 

I have seen a littke research of this, but wanted to see if anyone had experienced it themselves. 

Oh, and he has an appointment with his gp to discuss it. 

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

It's all there in black & white.

The fine print.

The pros & cons for/against - this kind of treatment.

Every drug has an upside & certainly a downside.

Just because it is prescribed - doesn't mean you have to take it as the best option.

Given the pros & cons.

Dope of any kind does not solve the problems we have caused - or others have caused.

As an adult - what I get myself into - I have to have the brains to get myself out of.

I understand depression totally.

Think again.

But think.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Prozac ( floxetine ) can be very effective in helping people with chronic depression. For long term sufferers it can be life changing, but it is a fairly powerful drug and its use needs to be strictly controlled under medical supervision. I,m not sure what your friend was told,  but most doctors spell out in great detail that the drug should not simply be stopped. If someone is going off of Prozac their use needs to reduced in steps by lowering dosage over a period of weeks in order to avoid the complications your friend has experienced. This is standard medical practice and universally understood by the mental health proffesion.

Prozac is used to treat depression, but it also has some efficacy in the treatment of other mental health problems and is often used in conjunction with other drugs in the treatment of people who are at risk of developing psychosis. You may not be fully aware of your friends medical condition. If they where pre-disposed to psychosis, the sudden withdrawral of Prozac could definately trigger this condition along with deep depression.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

The side effects including severe mental health episodes from sudden withdrawal of antidepressants / anti anxiety / anti psychotic medications are well and truly more severe and intense than the side effects of stopping illegal drugs.

The side effects of discontinuing also contuinue longer than with illegal drugs (up to months).

Many people confuse the dude effects of medication withdrawal for symptoms, therefore return to their medications. Withdrawal of the drugs needs to be a gradual lowering of the drugs over many months (6 at least), with benzo use (Valium) actually very useful at this time to assist with the overwhelming anxiety and panic attacks caused by withdrawal.

Funnily enough they stopped giving people Valium cause it was addictive, then gave them drugs that have worse withdrawal. Doctors say you become ‘dependent’ on them rather than ‘addicted’ but it’s rubbish.

Anyone who has done hard drug withdrawal AND antidepressant withdrawal with agree hard drugs are easier - 1 week of hell and you start to get better.

Antidepressants are months of hell during which time you feel worse than before you went on them
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Side effects not dude effects! Typo!
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply