Manus to Cambodia to.....

One of four refugees transferred to Cambodia as part of an arrangement costing the Australian Government at least $55 million has reportedly returned to Burma.

Three Iranians and the Burmese man left Nauru in May and landed in Phnom Penh a month later.

The Cambodia Daily newspaper reported the ethnic Rohingya man was scheduled to fly out of Cambodia on Sunday after asking to leave last month.

The Cambodian government reportedly said the man asked to go because he was homesick.

Australia is giving the Cambodian government $40 million in extra aid after it agreed to take refugees who tried to reach Australia by boat.  

The Government is also paying $15.5 million to the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) to support the refugees who move there.

"Unfortunately, IOM can't discuss the case due to confidentiality principles, as well as the direct request of the client," they said.

"He has specifically asked IOM not to make any statements to the media regarding his case."

Greens immigration spokeswoman Sarah Hanson-Young slammed the Australia-Cambodia arrangement as a waste of taxpayers' money.

"$55 million is a very expensive plane ticket for these four people simply to dump them back in the Asia-Pacific," Senator Hanson-Young said.

"The money that Australia has paid that country is a bribe so that people can simply be sent there and dumped there and so the Australian Government doesn't have to look after them," she said.

"This isn't a solution, this is a waste of money and unfortunately we're playing with the lives of refugees."

The group was taken to an Australian-funded villa after arriving in Phnom Penh in June and promised language training and other assistance.

The Government has previously said it was confident Cambodia would resettle more than the initial four, and has said negotiations are underway to find other countries that will take refugees.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-16/refugee-transferred-to-cambodia-returns-home-to-burma-reports/...

Info on International Organisation for Migrants: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Organization_for_Migration

I am interested in this story.  But I do have some doubt about certain aspects - as I do with most ABC news articles these days, unfortunately.

Ms Hanson-Young's  statement  which appears to include the $15.5million to IMO, implies that the money is only for this programme.

Is the former asylum seeker, moving back to Burma permanently? 

DEB

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Three Iranians and the Burmese man left Nauru in May and landed in Phnom Penh a month later.

Why did it take a month? Where were they during that time?  

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

That is one of the examples in the article that is questionable.

1. Did they leave on 31st May and Arrive 1st June = a month later or the next month?

2. Did they take a scenic route?

3. Did they, in fact, have to row?

DEB

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

@lurker172602 wrote:

Why did it take a month? Where were they during that time?  

in australia - according to unofficial

reports.

Refugees have been secretly flown from Nauru to an undisclosed location in Australia, where they will stay until their resettlement in Cambodia is approved by the Phnom Penh government, according to refugees still on the Pacific island.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Four refugees who are due to be resettled in Cambodia were flown to Darwin from Australia’s detention centre on Nauru over the weekend and are being housed in an immigration facility near the airport, a refugee advocate has said.

The Post first reported yesterday that the refugees had been flown to Australia in secret, without Australian immigration notifying their Cambodian counterparts, which was later confirmed to Australian media by a refugee advocate in Darwin.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/refugees-darwin-report-says

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

Just found this from May 2015: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-13/asylum-seekers-en-route-to-cambodia-flown-to-darwin/6467710

Realized that  direct flights from Nauru to Cambodia are not available.

Oops, Julia has beaten me to it.Smiley Happy

DEB

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

In each of those articles that Julia and I presented, there appears to be some dubious "secrets" comments attributed to refugee advocates.

DEB

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

yes, i noticed that.

seems to be a common thing with them.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

They have an agenda and they are ably abetted by Miss SHY.

I believe the extra money was for topping up the aid we already give to Cambodia and not the cost of 3 or 4 illegal immigrants taken there.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

moonflyte
Community Member

A multi million state of the art detention centre was built in Darwin at the height of the crash of our border policy under Gillard and Rubb. It cost millions.

What a legacy they left behind and now we are left to clean it up.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply