Martin Bryant

Did anyone watch the show Sunday Night ?

It was very interesting was a special on this creature ,featured his interviews with police in  the months afterwards.  I was surprised by how normal he seemed in terms of being able to answer questions ,somehow I thought he  was too retarded but he was quite able to joke and answer questions.

I was struck how much he was enjoying the whole thing like it was one huge joke , seemed to me he gets off  on the horrors he created yet fully understands them .

I admire the interviewing police I think Most people may have attacked him or something but they stayed so professional and calm .One scene he was being shown photos of the 35 bodies and just looks at each one in such a relaxed fashion like he was faking an interest in a dress catalog but slightly amused as well ,I couldnt help thinking for god sake  dont encourage him.....

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Martin Bryant

From what I have heard, he has autism.

If so, then combined with the fact he also has low intellect, I doubt he would be able to feel empathy. Not that many autistic people behave like this of course. It's just a combination of factors in his case.

You could see he was just mimicking empty words-horrendous etc, what he thought they expected him to say. I suspect to him those words just confirmed the fact that what he did was big & important. Ego booster words rather than a sign of any emotion.

I thought it was interesting, that TV interview with him when he was 12, after a mishap with fireworks. Had he learnt his lesson, asked the reporter. I am sure the reporter expected the standard yes, I won't use them again etc but he said just said yes and when pressed said yes, he learnt his lesson but he would still go on using them.

I didn't think the interview sections we saw were particularly good. Rather than trying to dwell on the severity of the crime, I think it would have been better to stick to facts, where, what, when, how etc

Unfortunately, some people are just .. permanently damaged. With no real chance of redemption or change. I think he is one of them. I am not sure his life is worth continuing.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Martin Bryant

Agree springy. His brain doesn't seem to have developed normally.

And how in the world was someone able to purchase such weapons? That is the main problem.

image host
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Martin Bryant

In my opinion only, I wish the police had shot MB dead right there and then at the time.  An awful thing to say I know, and I wish I didn't feel like that, but I still do.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Martin Bryant

.  And how in the world was someone able to purchase such weapons? That is the main problem.

Of course it was following this event that John Howard had the Gun Laws reviewed and subsequently the particular firearm Bryant used was banned other than for official purposes.

DEB

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Martin Bryant

I wondered if Autism may be involved. As far as him living I do feel sort of sorry he lives on for his own sake as everything I see and read indicates he is so tormented by his own lack of ability to make friends and even thought by doing what he did he would be admired by other prisoners. He seems a very tragic figure .

I feel like I should have no sympathy due to what he did and most killers I cannot feel any pity at their situation  but somehow I do feel a little for him I suspect death would be the best outcome as I dont think he is capable of remorse or understanding what he did.

I notice on social media his lawyer is getting a beating, I did think it seemed strange he said a few things That sounded like he forgot he was actually on Bryants team not the prosecution, trying to use Bryants fear of being considered dumb to make him plead gullty.

As nice as it is to try and spare the victims families grief of a trial I could not help thinking he was supposed to be on Bryants side not helping him off to jail as fast as possible. I bet if Ivan Milats lawyer said such a thing we would see all kinds of court action to get out on the basis of it.

the changes to the gun laws were the one positive outcome it is just insane to have anyone not in a war zone with a gun that fires so fast.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Martin Bryant

The one major difference between Ivan Milat and Martin Bryant is that Ivan Milat was not seen doing anything wrong and Martin Bryant was seen and could be identified by many people.

The onus was on the prosecution to prove that the evidence led to Ivan...with Martin all that had to be proved was his identity as he was seen committing the crimes by many people.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Martin Bryant

@lyndal1838 wrote:

The one major difference between Ivan Milat and Martin Bryant is that Ivan Milat was not seen doing anything wrong and Martin Bryant was seen and could be identified by many people.

The onus was on the prosecution to prove that the evidence led to Ivan...with Martin all that had to be proved was his identity as he was seen committing the crimes by many people.

And yet there are those conspiracy theorists who are convinced that he didn't do it, and somebody else did.

I can't understand how they can believe that to be the case when so many saw him doing the shootings.

photo GRUMPYCATSIGN_zpsa8f18bba.jpg
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Martin Bryant

There were people there at the time who swore it wasn't him shooting and made several public appearances saying why.
Some time later, they changed their minds and faded into the shadows, merely saying they realised they were mistaken. Why wouldn't that confuse people?
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply