NBN, Pulling my hair out

Hope someone can give me a bit of advice. On 10th November we moved into our new place where I was delighted to find out from TPG (our internet provider) that the address was NBN ready and they could do a phone/internet bundle. TPG arranged for a contractor to come out and put the box/wiring inside the house. This was done within 10 days. However, the contractor couldn't get the service to connect. He showed me why. The wire hanging from the telegraph pole was ours. NBN had marked it off as being fully wired.

Just before Christmas the team of contractors came out and brought the wires overhead from the pole to our house and attached wires to the NBN box. He said to me you are right to go. I rang TPG to tell them the work had been done (even NBN didn't know the contractor was coming out) and could they get things going for us. They contacted NBN who said there was a network shortfall and a technician is required to look at it.  TPG phone NBN daily for updates and they still can't give a date as to when the problem will be fixed. I have phoned NBN myself and been told the same thing.

Phoning NBN is useless as it is only a call centre. Can anyone suggest someone I could contact to get something done. It is a big NBN stuff up from the start and I am sick of paying big bucks for mobile broadband.

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: NBN, Pulling my hair out

I have no issue with this kind of service being provided to people I remote localities just as long as it is provided to ALL person in every remote locality.

What a lot of people in metro areas forget is, in remote area goods telecommunications is not a matter of convenience.  Instead itโ€™s often the difference between life and death โ€“ dating back to the day when a station hand had his appendix removed by the station owner, who was being told how to do it by doctor hundreds of miles away vide a pedal radio.  Now a Skype into that equation.  

Message 31 of 45
Latest reply

"I have no issue with this kind of service being provided to people I remote localities "

Nor do I, although I question whether they need it and should pay for it. They aren't tat poor a lot of them.

"just as long as it is provided to ALL person in every remote locality."

But it isn't, that's my point.

It should be but instead of the Gov't paying for it, user pays.

Message 32 of 45
Latest reply

That is, if someone with an NBN or ADSL connection gets a bundle which includes line rental, unlimited calls (local and STD with some international calls) and unlimited internet access all for $130, then if, due to a lack of infrastructure, my only mode of delivery to the home wireless, I still get the same bundle at the same price.

Is NBN wireless not available yet? Sorry, I'm sure you've answered in the past.  Keep an eye on the roll out maps because the new towers/services are coming online all the time.  The original intention of the NBN was exactly that, ubiquity of access and wholesale price with a choice of retail providers to service the whole country.  

Just because some lost in the past old men think people don't need a a quality service doesn't make it so.  Just because they only use a couple of forums doesn't mean the same applies for everyone.   Some use broadband for work, communications with family, education , health,  development,  entertainment, or whatever else they might want or need it for.  It's a worldwide trend. Data usage is increasing steadily every year and bandwidth demand is also.    Almost all of the businesses who have connected to the NBN say it has improved their productivity.  Given that with fibre there is no need for multiple lines to perform multiple functions there is also significant cost benefit by only having to pay for one line.

Message 33 of 45
Latest reply

glee, you are using a pretty broad brush in the support of your argument, perhaps you might like to detail just how these businesses productivity was improves. You have not given one specific example, all I see is a reiteration of the blurb fed to the gullible masses.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 34 of 45
Latest reply

Pod

Agree.

Would like to see some factual examples from glee.

Even businesses that NEED NBN for work.

Message 35 of 45
Latest reply

Pod

This from the NBN Web site. All can be achieved with High levels of ADSL2+.

Connect to a better future

The NBN is essential for Australiaโ€™s digital evolution to support future economic and social growth. Economic growth and technology are intrinsically linked and this makes investment in the NBN for Australia crucial. The digital economy demands a fast and reliable network to enable; access to new markets, opportunity to reduce costs and drive innovation as well as gaining competitive edge on the global stage. Here are a few of the many benefits of fast broadband that your business could enjoy:

Better engagement, stronger relationships โ€“ fast, reliable broadband brings video conferencing to life. Meet with customers, suppliers and colleagues, regardless of location, face to face without even leaving your desk, saving time consuming and costly travel.

Connectivity counts, so does cutting costs โ€“ the benefits of cloud based services are realised with access to high-speed broadband. With access to customers, suppliers, staff and information at home as well as in the office, on any connected device, you have the freedom to work smarter.

New markets, new opportunities โ€“ fast internet can improve the online experience for your customers, remove geographic barriers and as we connect more homes in Australia, grow your potential local market too.

Flexible working, boost productivity โ€“ widespread availability of fast, reliable broadband could allow more flexible working, the ability to open up new employment opportunities, including those in more remote locations. The NBN has the potential to boost productivity of your existing staff.

Improve performance, focus on the future โ€“ the NBN provides potential to sell new products and services, exploit new channels to market and to offer services globally. It could provide the opportunity to improve operational efficiency and change the way you do business in the future.

Celebrating collaboration โ€“ bring together the best possible team regardless of location and when team members are away from the office they can still be connected to the project. The ability to share resources, meet and work together could help drive team productivity too.

Message 36 of 45
Latest reply

Just looking at the rollout Map of NBN in my area and others, it is VERY piecemeal, all over the place.

Bits here, bits there, huge gaps in between.

Message 37 of 45
Latest reply

The NBN has been full of buzz words that are meaningless in real terms. Let us not forget the original promise of 100Mbps and even a mention of 1Gbps.

It would not matter is Australia had 1 million biggerbit per nano second.

Most of the content comes from overseas from all parts of the world and the "hops" are multiple from source to destination, the Internet data transfer speed is ONLY AS FAST AS THE SLOWEST LINK (hop) in the chain.

The world average at the moment is around 15 Mbps.

Everyone seems to ignore that bit of fact and have their heads buried in some dark orifice searching for heaven knows what.

Perhaps they are searching for the promise that they swallowed, given by some stupid person and backed up by an idiot ๐Ÿ™‚

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 38 of 45
Latest reply

You have wires hanging from the telegraph pole?

Isn't the wiring underground? Ours is

Message 39 of 45
Latest reply

There are 2 villas in the block. The other villa has underground wiring. When they did the installation in our home they discovered that the wire hanging from the pole (quite visible) was ours which should have been connected to the outside of the house. The work had been marked as completed by the contractor but obviously it wasn't completed.

Just before Christmas a team of contractors came out to attach this 'loose' wire to our house. He took it overhead. I said I thought it was all underground. He said in your case it is easier to run it from the pit, up the pole, across to our house and into the NBN box. Made sense to me. However, I am wondering if this is the cause of our problems now although I wouldn't think it would make any difference whether underground or overhead. I don't care what they do as long as they fix the damn thing.

Message 40 of 45
Latest reply