NBN & 5G Wifi - Telstra.

They always told us there was not going to be an alternative.

But there is - NOW.

BUT.

Firstly a bit of background - Telstra Business - with - Internet - Landline - 4 Mobiles (now).

Received a call from a sweet young Telstra bloke - explaining to me the ' new internet '.

At the moment - my NBN - $79.99 a month.

The new WiFi - $60.66 a month,

OK that's a saving of almost  $20 per month.

Sounds good so far - till the accounts began to arrive - hello - being charged for both.

$79.99 + $60.66.

It has taken 4 months to sort this out - most of the time - they would very helpfully delete the $79.99.

What this sweet young thingy from Telstra failed to explain - keep in mind this is a Business Account - the 5gTelstra WiFi - does not cover a landline - so you need both - LOL - NBN & 5G.

Most established businesses have a phone on the desk - a Landline.

Just beware anyone going for this newby.

PS - The Blackhawk WiFi is being dropped back to the closest Telstra shoppe - when I choose to go out next.

It is however a cheaper option for those with only mobiles.

Don't ask about connection speed - no idea - it was never in use.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

NBN & 5G Wifi - Telstra.

Yeah got to watch out being impulsed into signing up and forgetting the unmentioned associated existing plan - got caught out that way recently, ended up keeping the mobile wifi for $25 per month and cancelled the existing contracted landline - which was thankfully without drama. Then bought outright a landline-like phone that uses a mobile sim card and signed up with my backup isp for $5 per month national unlimited calls

( Had an existing plan with them @$5 per month - mobile phone paid out)

Think i was paying over $100 per month total previously

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

NBN & 5G Wifi - Telstra.

Yeah got to watch out being impulsed into signing up and forgetting the unmentioned associated existing plan - got caught out that way recently, ended up keeping the mobile wifi for $25 per month and cancelled the existing contracted landline - which was thankfully without drama. Then bought outright a landline-like phone that uses a mobile sim card and signed up with my backup isp for $5 per month national unlimited calls

( Had an existing plan with them @$5 per month - mobile phone paid out)

Think i was paying over $100 per month total previously

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

NBN & 5G Wifi - Telstra.

Now there's a plan - 5 bucks a month.

Landline - Like phone - and I almost totally understood that. 

OH brother.

Where does one find a 25 buck per month anything.

Never purchased a phone with a plan - talk about - you're doing it wrong. 

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

NBN & 5G Wifi - Telstra.

My OH and I both have mobile phones with Optus for less than $25 a month.

OH 's phone is $19 postpaid and has plenty od included calls and date for his needs....he does not use any data, only calls and texts.

Mine is prepaid and gives me free calls to other Optus mobiles....$30 every 3 months.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

NBN & 5G Wifi - Telstra.

The thread was to warn people against - the now threat - to the NBN - something they told us was the only way - to internet connection.

It's not.

5G - WiFi - with only mobiles - is now the way to connect.

Just not if you are a business with a Landlne - this still needs the NBN.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

NBN & 5G Wifi - Telstra.

@domino-710 wrote:

The thread was to warn people against - the now threat - to the NBN - something they told us was the only way - to internet connection.

It's not.

5G - WiFi - with only mobiles - is now the way to connect.

Just not if you are a business with a Landlne - this still needs the NBN.

Actually most mobile wifi internet is not 5G connected yet ( except as a trial ) however and whatever mine is good for 56Mbps , but gets throttled back pretty quick to a fraction of that , but for me now, none to worry as at the low speed unlimited is still good for streaming video at any resolution, which is my highest normal bandwidth requirement so what do I care ? 

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

NBN & 5G Wifi - Telstra.

@domino-710 wrote:

Now there's a plan - 5 bucks a month.

Landline - Like phone - and I almost totally understood that. 

OH brother.

Where does one find a 25 buck per month anything.

Never purchased a phone with a plan - talk about - you're doing it wrong. 

I included a isp supplied mobile phone with a plan beacuse could space out payments and as the isp supplied , the isp tech supports.

I still use that older smart phone , is why the plan is only $5 per month ( do not use internet on that phone)

As for internet, for my usage, home office type usage,  not much difference between full speed and throttled back , so is a good deal for me , i just do not over do the streaming... like baking ones cake and eating it all 

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

NBN & 5G Wifi - Telstra.

I pay $85 per month. That includes 51Gb of data, unlimited phone calls and text. All on 4G, which is certainly fast enough for me, but I don't spend my time trying to tweak things to get those things to work a few seconds quicker. I just go and make a cuppa if necessary, which it normally isn't.

Spread over my mobile and my PC. Works for me. I don't have the NBN, I've never had any sort of landline for 12 years, yet I still have perfectly acceptable internet access. And a phone.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

NBN & 5G Wifi - Telstra.

The point was - why offer a business account a service - an extra service - not necessary & unable to fulfill that which is already in place.

It is not an update - it is not a replacement.

I was wrong - this works on 4G - and could be looked at for those without a landline.

Telstra - $60.66 per month - this I think includes the purchase of the ' hardware '.

20200503_080730.jpg

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

NBN & 5G Wifi - Telstra.

I,ve always believed Labors fibre to every home plan was a dinosaur before it was even started. There's no doubt that fibre to central business hubs, schools and hospitals is essential, but in a vast country such as Australia, it was lunacy ( or base level pork barreling  ) to promise fibre to the home to every pleb who wanted to stream videos or play games. If people want to spend their days doing that - fine, their prerogative. They just need to pay for the services they are using rather than be propped up at ridiculous expense by the taxpayer.

Blind Freddy could see that people want the option to take their internet with them wherever they go and the use of landlines to the home was already on the way out when fibre to the home was dreamed up.

While regularly being Poo Poo-ed by the usuals on the forums, I have argued from the beginning that if the money wasted on trying to get fibre to every household in Australia had been spent on research and development of better satellite technology, Australia would be leading the world in innovative satellite based internet services. People said it couldn't be done, look at how radio frequency fades out etc , but now only a couple of years later 5G is replacing the obsolete NBN to the home.

What a waste of money from a stupid, dumb government with no vision or foresight !!!.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply