NBN blues

OK, so finally, after close to 2 years of arguments, they connected me to the NBN on Wednesday.  The Internet connection was fine, so I did not stress too much when I was told the phone might be up to 24 hours before it works.  I was not exactly happy, as they also gave me a phone number to my "case manager" to call if I have problems, but hey, I can survive for 24 hours even that I am after my 2nd hip replacement surgery, and not allowed to drive..............

Anyway by Friday still no phone, an hour on "live chat" only resulted with being again given a phone number to ring.  Then I found out that I can plug in my second phone (with cord) into the old plug in my bedroom and it works.  But it means I have to run to answer the phone, and I am not that good running, and the old phone does not show who I miss, and it rattles; I only kept it for emergencies when the power went off.  I emailed my daughter and she tried to find out what is going on and they told her my phone is scheduled to be connected 1st of July!  Then they promised to see what they could do.

Then Saturday my internet was so slow, that I could not connect anywhere, could not get my emails and could not send emails, on the bright side the phone connected to the NBN started making noises, but I could not call or receive calls, and the old phone in the bedroom stopped ringing.  When my daughter tries to call the call goes straight  into message bank.

I just wonder if that is what I can expect the NBN to be?  I really do not want a mobile, but it looks as I might have to get one. 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: NBN blues

I have been having problems with the NBN since February and I got soo pizzed off I decided to contact the telecom ombudsman and complain.  I now have a case manager and my NBN is monitored by telstra.  Complain to the ombudsman, you might get better results from the provider.   I have had excellent communication with telstra since I complained but the NBN still drops out at least once a day which I am recording as advised by telstra even though they are monitoring it.  DON'T GIVE UP, keep at them constantly. Persist until you get better service.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Just a tip.

I had heaps of problems when first connected a couple of years ago.

When complaining - I was told there was no proof of lack of connection.

One let slip they could monitor only when the box was turned off - (otherwise it showed connected) - plugs removed - given a few minutes - then ' rebooted '.

So everytime it dropped - I turned it off.

I also got into the habit - if it wasn't being used & I walked past - I would disconnect the lot.

They finally got the message - supplied a new modem - the tech even telling me there was a known problem with the initial modem - but they were installing them anyway. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

The NBN has been pretty much useless as teats on a bull from the get go here

Slow every day (slower than slow quite often) if the internet goes, the landline goes with it

And if it is raining heavily or very windy, forget it (despite them saying "Oh no the weather has nothing to do with anything,madam")

Nobody knows what is going on so the buck is passed back and forth along with scripted responses about where the blame lays (or lies)

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I have been having problems with the NBN since February and I got soo pizzed off I decided to contact the telecom ombudsman and complain.  I now have a case manager and my NBN is monitored by telstra.  Complain to the ombudsman, you might get better results from the provider.   I have had excellent communication with telstra since I complained but the NBN still drops out at least once a day which I am recording as advised by telstra even though they are monitoring it.  DON'T GIVE UP, keep at them constantly. Persist until you get better service.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Just a tip.

I had heaps of problems when first connected a couple of years ago.

When complaining - I was told there was no proof of lack of connection.

One let slip they could monitor only when the box was turned off - (otherwise it showed connected) - plugs removed - given a few minutes - then ' rebooted '.

So everytime it dropped - I turned it off.

I also got into the habit - if it wasn't being used & I walked past - I would disconnect the lot.

They finally got the message - supplied a new modem - the tech even telling me there was a known problem with the initial modem - but they were installing them anyway. 

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks, that might be handy,  🙂

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

We are due to be connected any day and i  am dreading it.   What i will do is  top up my mobile wifi thing and have that as stand by .......but can that be affected too?    Should i be contacting my provider now abt ensuring that the land line will work?   Thatls very important as i don't have a smart phone.   Any tips would be appreciated. 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

the better cheaper faster NBN will be a festering sore for many years until either something better comes along (unlikely) or they go back to the original plan and put fibre right into homes.

as long as there is old decrepid copper wires in the mix the NBN will never perform as it was designed by the original plan under labor.

going with the copper to the node was a very poor lack of forward planning.

had malcom 'i invented the internet' turnbul had announced a plan on 'fibre to the node' as the first step and that would be followed ny 'fibre to the curb' and then 'at the customers expense 'fibre into the home' i would have been happy.

as it is i'm stuck with about 2 km of copper wire strangling my internet for ever.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Well, it looks like it is all working now including my phone; so fingers crossed.  Maybe the Saturday was a fluke; maybe them trying to connect my phone somehow affected the NBN?  i talked to neighbours who already have NBN and they had no problems this Saturday. 

The fact that when there is no NBN there is no landline is bit alarming though.  I really do not want a ; I have been all but housebound for the past 3 years, I did not need it.  Hopefully, with my hips fixed I will be able to go for walks on the beach, as I used to, but I did not have a mobile back then, I am not sure I need the extra expense now.  mobile

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply