New dog not eating. Suggestions?

Our new 'pup' (10 months) arrived a week ago and is settling in well. She seems happy and has stopped pining for her old family although every now and then there is a bit of wimpering if she can't see where we are. 

She is drinking water but she isn't eating. The only thing we have managed to get into her is small bits of BBQ chicken skin (vets idea). That is in 7 days!

We called the breeder and apparently her companion (another female her age) also stopped eating but was back on her food by day 4.

Is there anything I can do?

Message 1 of 255
Latest reply
254 REPLIES 254

How about you try allowing her inside and making her feel like  a part of the family/pack ?

Message 2 of 255
Latest reply

She is inside. It will be a few weeks before she goes out into the backyard.

Message 3 of 255
Latest reply

Ok, glad to hear that because earlier you said she would be an "outside dog". If the vet can't find anything wrong with her then perhaps she is still experiencing separation anxiety. I do hope she manages to settle down soon.

In the meantime, lots of love and affection and inclusion in her new pack, is my only suggestion.

but eventual "exile", eh?

Message 4 of 255
Latest reply

Introduce her to the rabbit.      Maybe she will see it as a companion.

No.............wait.....she's probably hungry.

I dunno

Message 5 of 255
Latest reply

Yeah, you've gotta watch those rabbits. They have great big teeth.Smiley Surprised

Message 6 of 255
Latest reply

@iapetus_rocks wrote:

Ok, glad to hear that because earlier you said she would be an "outside dog". If the vet can't find anything wrong with her then perhaps she is still experiencing separation anxiety. I do hope she manages to settle down soon.

In the meantime, lots of love and affection and inclusion in her new pack, is my only suggestion.

but eventual "exile", eh?

Yep she will be an outside dog. We are leaving the door open most of the day/night and she is already showing signs that she prefers to be out there than inside. 

Message 7 of 255
Latest reply

My suggestion - 

Try sitting out on the steps to the pups level and eat something yourself.

Something pup may like, perhaps lasagna or steak.

Get pup to sit and watch you eat then slowly offer pieces from your bowl.

image host
Message 8 of 255
Latest reply

Don't you have dogs kopes?   Sorry, but that's the worst thing in the world to teach

a pup.      Then you have s slavering dog looking at you every time you eat.

Begging you for food.

Try warming the food, that way the smell may entice.

Message 9 of 255
Latest reply

Feed something that smells delicous, and make sure it is warm so the smell is stronger. The barbeque chicken sounds like a good start. 
Have you tried  a little raw chicken mince with gravy on top? (Not the dog variety mince as it has too many ground bones in it!)

Some dogs go nuts for cheese, others love bacon - mine will do just about anything for dried liver treats!

Message 10 of 255
Latest reply