No Land Tax Party

gleee58
Community Member

There was a conversation about job ads for election work and it turned out to be how to votes for a political party, I think it was the No Land Tax Party.

The mystery deepens.... Or is it an April Fools Day joke?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-31/no-tax-party-bega-candidate-may-not-be-alive/6361410

The No Land Tax party is unable to say if its candidate for Bega at the weekend's New South Wales election is still alive.

Clyde Robert Archard was listed as living in Vincentia in the South Coast electorate, but the ABC was not able to contact Mr Archard and there had been reports he was dead.

Fairfax Media reported the only Clyde Robert Archard it could find died as a prisoner of war in Borneo in 1945.

The party's leader, Peter Jones, told ABC South East he had only met half the party's candidates and did not remember ever having met the Bega candidate.

He said it "would be very sad" if Mr Archard had died.

Mr Archard received 2.3 per cent of the votes in the Bega electorate at the weekend.

Labor, Libs slam mystery candidate

Re-elected Bega MP Andrew Constance said he was concerned about the mystery surrounding his No Land Tax opponent.

"I'd like to see candidates' photographs produced and put up on the [Electoral] Commission website, and their mobile phone details put up on the website, so they can be available for the community to be able to call and ask questions," he said.

Labor's Bega candidate, Leanne Atkinson, listed Mr Archard third in her preferences, above the Liberal and Christian Democrat candidates for the seat.

But she said it was disappointing he lived outside the electorate.

"[He is] a person that nobody has sighted and a person who is not invested in the community," she said.

"How on Earth can they speak on behalf of a community if they neither understand nor know anybody who is there?"

Ad confuses election worker

A young woman from south-east NSW said she mistakenly ended up working for the No Land Tax party on election day.

The woman, who wanted to remain anonymous, said she answered an advertisement she thought was for work with the NSW Electoral Commission.

But she said it turned out to be the No Land Tax group.

"They sent me something in the mail and I opened it and it was a big box of flyers for this group of people that I'd never heard of," she said.

"That was about two days before the election.

"I kind of thought I'd already said I'd do it so I really couldn't go back on my word.

"So I ended up handing out flyers for somebody I didn't know about."

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

No Land Tax Party

That was me that received a flyer about election work, which wasn't clear what party it was for.

They offered a $200 bonus if their  candidate got more than 10% of votes and $500 if candidate got more than 20% of votes

Safe there from paying that out, they were lucky to get around 2%.

Apparently the No Land Tax Party haven't paid the people employed to hand out how to vote cards at all. ($30 p.h). They are said to owe about $1m. More details in the link.

Hardly any of their candidates lived anywhere near the electorates they were standing in.

Mystery solved about the man from Bega?

Missing No Land Tax candidate Clyde Robert Archard alive and well in Sydney: friend

Updated about 8 hours ago

The fate of a missing candidate in the New South Wales election may be resolved after a friend phoned the ABC to say he was alive and well and working as a chef in Sydney.

But a person who claimed to be a friend of Mr Archard's phoned ABC Illawarra this morning to say the candidate was alive and well.

The friend said Mr Archard was working in Sydney but did not want to talk to the media.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-01/missing-no-land-tax-candidate-may-be-alive-and-well/6363816

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

No Land Tax Party

I thought it was you, couldn't find the thread though  😄

They're sounding like a pack of nuts.  The article isn't dated 1st April..

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nsw-state-election-2015/nsw-state-election-2015-no-land-tax-partys-peter-j...

Peter Jones, the lead candidate for the No Land Tax Party, has been peppering political rivals, including the Police Minister Stuart Ayres and state Liberal Party boss Tony Nutt, with obscene text messages that have exposed a row over preference deals for Saturday's election.

No Land Tax has the crucial "donkey vote" position on the ballot paper, which could deliver Mr Jones a seat in Parliament and potentially the balance of power in the upper house.

But the party is straining amid internal fighting and the erratic behaviour of Mr Jones, a self-confessed "colourful" former trade unionist.

Text messages obtained by Fairfax Media show Mr Jones has fired off multiple crude messages to a group of recipients.

His animosity towards the Liberals stems from the party's refusal to enter a preference deal with No Land Tax. But Mr Jones claims he has nonetheless struck personal deals with Liberal candidates in four seats, including two sitting MPs.

In a text to Mr Nutt, he wrote: "Hey F—knutts how f—king dare you make a complaint against me for sending offensive and unsolicited messages, you f—king turd. It's all a pack of lies. Rgrds. Peter."

Mr Jones told Fairfax Media that he had been angered by Mr Nutt's refusal to do a deal that would be in both parties' interests.

"I think Tony Nutt is actually a deep-penetration double agent. He has got to be on the ALP pay roll because he is doing their work for them," Mr Jones said.

Mr Nutt declined to comment.

Fairfax Media has learned that Mr Nutt has threatened to disendorse Liberal candidates who enter deals with No Land Tax.

But Mr Jones claims to have a deal in place with Liberal candidates in the seats of Port Stephens, Gosford, Prospect and Drummoyne where Liberal volunteers would assist No Land Tax in handing out on the day and feeding volunteers.

Drummoyne Liberal John Sidoti confirmed he had met with Mr Jones but said no deal was done. He said he was sympathetic to the party's aim and would normally offer food to volunteers of other parties.

After Mr Nutt warned against dealing with Mr Jones, the No Land Tax candidate sent off a text to Mr Nutt on Wednesday.

"Hey Tony, things must be pretty shambolic at Liberal HQ if you're threatening to disendorse your own MPs. All things considered … it may have been simpler to return my calls … over the last six months. Good luck on Saturday … because with an idiot like you in charge you will need all the luck you can get. Rgrds Peter," he texted.

Mr Jones also targeted Mr Ayres with taunts about Liberal election material he claims was being displayed by an illegal brothel in Penrith.

"Good morning Stuatt [sic]. I hope I was in your dreams … or nightmares … as the case may be. I have a question for you … can you please recommend me an illegal brothel in Penrith. It has to be incredibly sleazy you little funster. Kind regards. Peter," he wrote in one message to Mr Ayres.

No Land Tax has 4.3 million how-to-vote cards printed ready to distribute and will have volunteers handing out at 1200 polling booths. Mr Jones had wanted a deal to include Liberal volunteers helping No Land Tax recruits but the Liberal Party would not agree.

Mr Ayres said he sent one reply to Mr Jones advising him that only Tony Nutt was authorised to negotiate preferences.

A source described Mr Jones, who is subject of an apprehended violence order taken out by Police on behalf of Communications Union boss Jim Metcher, as a "strange guy".

"He is both brilliant and absolutely bonkers," said the political operative.

Mr Jones said he was happy to be known as colourful and have his messages made public.

Meanwhile, Fairfax Media can reveal that the party's number two candidate, Pat Carbone, attempted to sack the number three candidate Gus Macri.

Mr Macri of Five Dock said he was "dismissed" because he refused requests to hand over a $25,000 donation to the party.

He said: "Pat Carbone was expecting me to donate and that's why he put me in the number three position. He said to hold that position I should be donating. But I didn't."

After Fairfax Media spoke to Mr Carbone, Mr Macri called back to say his sacking had been a misunderstanding.

But he said if a "political miracle" occurred and he was elected to the upper house on Saturday he would not vote with Mr Jones or Mr Carbone.

He said party members had been shocked to read in the media of new party policies like a 15 per cent GST to make up for the $2.4 billion revenue shortfall that would result from its policy to abolish land tax.

Members were also blindsided, he said, by Mr Jones' latest policy – a royal commission into the NSW Police, which he has described in policy documents as the "most corrupt police force in the nation".

The terms of reference for the party's proposed royal commission include: "Unauthorised police media leaks – including and especially to Ray Hadley. Ain't metadata a wonderful thing? 8. Whether (or not) the owners of 2GB are fit and proper person(s) to hold a radio licence? We only ask the easy questions here. 9. Anything else that [Sydney Morning Herald journalist] Kate McClymont wants to add."

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

No Land Tax Party

They are nutso.

PAYMENT ORDER

We will pay people who are polite and patient FIRST. We will also attempt to prioritise people who are in genuinely urgent need.

We will pay people who are rude or obnoxious LAST. We have feelings too.

If you threaten, harass or defame us YOU WILL NOT BE PAID – EVER. We'd just love to meet you in court.

Feel for those workers - I can't see where that party would get $100,000's from, to pay them. 

The Australian

Speculation mounted about whether the staffers would receive their pay after the party earned an underwhelming 1.67 per cent of the vote, when it had banked on securing the 4 per cent needed to receive electoral commission funding.

Mr Jones maintained that  only staffers’ bonuses, which were not achieved in any electorate, would have been funded by the $7 received by the commission  for every vote that the party received.

“We did much worse than we thought,” he said. “We thought we’d get 5 per cent of the vote and that was part of our strategy.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

No Land Tax Party

Supertrolls.  It's all too funny to be true.  Someone's ongoing Aprile Fools gag  :D:D

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

No Land Tax Party

I worked for the NSWEC at a Bega electorate polling place on Saturday.  We were commenting at the count how many either donkey votes or Yay No Tax numptys votes they were getting.  

I didn't realise there was all this other stuff going on in the background though.  What a bunch of nutters.

As an aside, we seemed to get a larger number of "colourful" ballot papers in the box than previously.  I'll be interested to see what the informal % is.  Some people are very creative Woman Surprised

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

No Land Tax Party

Not surprising?

No Land Tax party leader claims links to Liberal Party figures

The NSW No Land Tax party’s leader, Peter Jones, has revealed his campaign was bankrolled by a small number of very wealthy individuals aligned to the Liberal Party to harvest preferences and get him elected.

In an extraordinary radio interview this morning, the former unionist also claimed the party was preparing court action to overturn last weekend’s election in case his bid for an upper-house seat fails.

“I know we’ll be successful in overturning this one. It’s a dead-set certainty. The only way the election won’t be overturned is if the judge is on the take, or on crystal meth,” Mr Jones told ABC Radio.

Mr Jones revealed his party was advised by “some people with political pedigrees, definitely from the Liberal side” but would not identify them. Although they did not include present federal MPs, he would not say if any former Liberal MPs were involved.

“I was told under no circumstances were we to preference the Labor Party or the Greens, that we had to preference the Liberal Party and that’s precisely what we did,” Mr Jones said.

“The committee and the supporters of No Land Tax and the members were very impressed with the work I did.”

Interviewer James Carleton asked Mr Jones: “Is it fair to characterise this in this way: a small number of very wealthy individuals, some connected and perhaps still connected to the Liberal Party, have endeavoured to bankroll your campaign to get you into the parliament (and) the amounts of money and the names of those people, as yet not disclosed?”

Mr Jones replied: “Yeah, that’s 100 per cent accurate, James, yes.”

Carleton asked: “And you have no reservations about being involved in that style of politics?”

Mr Jones replied: “Well we all have to earn a living, James, and that’s all I’m doing ... I’ve basically been unemployed for the last 10 years and my skills are in political campaigning ... where else am I going to get work?”

Mr Jones, a former postal workers’ union official and self-described “whistleblower”, has a controversial past.

He has been accused by Labor and Liberal politicians of “padding the electoral roll” and engineering “e....

The No Land Tax campaign was accused during the election of running dead people as candid­ates, others represented on campaign material by actors in stock image....

Mr Jones is also under fire for failing to pay about 3000 workers for distributing how-to-vote cards on election day.

He defended offering bonuses for polling booths where No Land Tax won at least 10 per cent of the primary vote.

Asked if he had concerns about whether such incentives were appropriate, Mr Jones said: “Yes I did, and that’s why I ran it past the — actually, I don’t know that I — I’m trying to think. I suppose the answer is ‘no’, I think it’s quite legitimate to do that.”

Mr Jones defended his position that “rude and obnoxious” workers who complained about not being paid would receive their money last.

“I’d probably hit the roof (if I were a union official), but I’m on the employers’ side in this equation and from my point of view I think it’s a very reasonable request,” he said.

Mr Jones, when asked about the basis for the possible court challenge, said: “There was a snafu with the iVote system where 18,000 ballots were incorrectly issued or issued with mistakes, and the second ground is we were subjected to an outrageous and unprecedented campaign of dirty tricks and harassment by the Liberal Party.”

Mr Jones said he would not obstruct the Baird government if elected to the NSW Legislative Council.

“My attitude is it’s not the role of a minor party that is little more than a pimple on the backside of democracy to obstruct a government that has been elected in the lower house but to take each piece of legislation on its merits,” he said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/state-politics/no-land-tax-party-leader-claims-link...

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

No Land Tax Party

There is a Clyde Robert Archard listed in the WW2 Nominall Roll web page, he was born in 9/4/1921 -NX44381. How ever the No Land Tax Party appears to have candidates standing in seats which they no apparent connections

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply