Odd Telstra/Paypal email...should I worry?

sheedydog
Community Member

Got an email from a Paypal address as follows:

You sent a payment of 142.00 AUD to Telstra (service@telstra.com.au)
Thanks for using PayPal. To see all the transaction details, log in to your PayPal account.

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.

Merchant
Telstra Corporation
support@telstra.com.au

Instructions to merchant
You haven't entered any instructions.

Shipping address - Unconfirmed
AUSTRALIA

Postage details
The seller hasn.t provided any postage details yet.

Description

Unit price

Qty

Amount

3 month subscription

142.00 AUD

142.00 AUD

Subtotal

142.00 AUD

Total

142.00 AUD

Payment

142.00 AUD

Issues with this transaction?
If you haven't authorized this charge, open a dispute here ang get a full refund.

I have checked Paypal and no payment there, haven't clicked any links.  Just a typical "ignore and it will disappear"?  Thoughts appreciated as I've never had similar spam or suspicious activity before.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I have had a few of those,  including other ones, they are just scam emails, but it always pays to check your account anyway.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Ignore it. The giveaway is that bit right at the end "open a dispute here and get a refund" followed by a link. They I might just as well have put up a big flashing sign saying SCAM. 

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Whatever you do, don't click that link. Log into your PP account via eBay and check your balance. It sounds like a scam one to me. I keep getting them for some renovation company in Adelaide that I've never heard of.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

sheedydog
Community Member

Thanks for replies so quickly putting my mind as ease.. can't say a "refund" didn't look tempting but I've been watching these boards and learnt from wise ones so not clicking a thing!  Never had reason to worry before.  Thanks again, apologies if should have put in the Trading section. 🙂

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

We are being plagued with 'fix your computer' scams at the moment. Three phone calls in the space of two hours yesterday and about a dozen in the last week. Mr Elephant and I have a competition going to see who can string them along the longest or come up with the most ingenious turn off. He told this morning's caller that he is blind but has a special Braille monitor. 

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

:^O she-ele, they're a darn nuisance aren't they. they haven't called here for a month or 2 we ended  up telling them we don't  have any computers in the house and hanging up on them

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

sheedydog
Community Member

We got numerous calls insisting that our home pc was in dire need of help long before we even had a computer at home.  As a quick aside, what really irks me is the telemarketing callers who, upon my young son politely and clearly answering the phone in his quaint little manner, refuse to speak and hang up as soon as they realise it's a child.  If I answer and am not quick enough to sense the pause in the queue before they get me I get an eager greeting immediately and a long earful.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Speedy, once those telemarketers get to start their spiel, it's very hard to exit politely, you sort of can't get a word in , lol

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Oops the iPad changed that, sorry Sheedy

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply