Oh Noz! Salmonella Hits 175 QLD School Prinicipals

SALMONELLA is believed to be the culprit behind one of Queensland's worst mass food poisonings.

QUEENSLAND Health says 175 school principals have contracted food poisoning after attending a conference at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre on Thursday and Friday.

Twenty-four principals have been hospitalised, but none are in a critical condition.

Chief health officer Dr Jeannette Young has pointed to salmonella as the likely cause of the food poisoning but investigations are ongoing.

"The usual causes for salmonella is poorly cooked meat, poultry and eggs," she said.

Salmonella food poisoning causes fever, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, vomiting and dehydration and can exacerbate existing health problems.

Education Minister Kate Jones said affected schools would still function well without their principals.

Woman LOL

"We have great capacity in our schools and we're very confident that the schools are running well," Ms Jones said.

"We're just praying the principals get well soon."

Entire Article Here

Geez it's getting so you'll want to take your own packed lunch everywhere.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

At least when we cook chicken etc at home, we know it is cooked properly and stored correctly afterwards. I tend to visit Mum around lunchtime and usually I take a sandwich from home, and an Aldi coffee in a travel mug. Cheaper and safer too. Not a fan of bought lunches. 

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I always cut my own lunches for work.

sometimes I'll have Subway or a Macca's wrap.

But even taking your own lunch you don't know what's in your salad veges or where they come from.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Salmonella outbreak in some retirement homes in my area too. 23 confirmed cases and one death last report I saw.

...an outbreak of an unusual strain of salmonella in 10 aged care homes Illawarra Retirement Trust either operates or supplies with meals.

Mr Gregory said it was important to note no staff members had become ill, and inspections of the kitchens and food-handling procedures had not found any issues.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

You certainly know how to live it up. How do you do it on your income?  Robot LOL

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@village_person wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

You certainly know how to live it up. How do you do it on your income?  Robot LOL

I buy toilet paper when it's on special and recycle my plastic bags for bin liners lol.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply