Q&A

Brilliant episode tonight about domestic violence.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 1 of 187
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Q&A

I recently had a conversation with someone that really drove home to me how misunderstood DV is. After explaining a small amount of what a family member had been through, the response was "oh, I thought he'd beaten her up or something" said in a manner which kind of meant "is that all?".

As long as the focus remains on people who are physically abused, those who are psychologically abused will be scared to come forward or talk to anyone because people simply dont understand how debilitating emotional abuse can be. They cant just leave, they cant stand up for themselves and they cant seek help. They simply see no way out. If and when they do manage to escape, the abuse is often continued through having to allow visitation to children or simply having the offender turn up on your doorstep when you are powerless to turn them away. Its not even that easy for someone who has been psychologically abused to take out an AVO on an abuser, its not like anyone can see the scars, and its really difficult for someone in an emotionally weakened state to stand up in court and repeat what they have been through at the risk of people thinking "cant be that bad, he didnt beat her"

Added to the issue of how difficult it is to escape an abuser, is the lack of available housing. Abused women are often forced to move away from and cut ties with friends and family. They have nobody to go to when they get the courage to leave, nowhere to live, no income. In my sisters case she had no phone and no internet, it would have been impossible for her to find any resources to help her.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg

View solution in original post

Message 142 of 187
Latest reply
186 REPLIES 186

Q&A

gleee58
Community Member

@bluecat*dancing wrote:

Brilliant episode tonight about domestic violence.

Yes, it was.  

Message 2 of 187
Latest reply

Q&A

I missed it. What was the conclusion?

Message 3 of 187
Latest reply

Q&A

Didn't watch all of it but the blond haired chap was impressive as was Stott-Despoja.
Message 4 of 187
Latest reply

Q&A

@myoclon1cjerk wrote:
Didn't watch all of it but the blond haired chap was impressive as was Stott-Despoja.

Unless you are one of the 25% of domestic violence victims who happen to be male. Stott Despoja was dismissive, condascending and downright rude towards males who are attacked by women, preffering to try to turn this important issue into a woman only problem, with men always at fault.  Her male hating performance did not do her any credit and appeared like a cheap attempt to garner a shallow, populist round of applause to bolster her over inflated ego. I agree though that the blond haired guy approached the subject with inteligence, compassion and balance.

Message 5 of 187
Latest reply

Q&A

Like I said I didn't watch it all.Maybe 5 minutes or so.Having said that,I find it hard to believe that men make up 25% of domestic violence victims.Are there statistics to prove this?
Message 6 of 187
Latest reply

Q&A

That was the statistics the panel members where quoting. Stott Despoja did acknowlege that this was the case, but immediatly dismissed the issue of male victims of domestic violence, trying to turn it into some kind of phsudo feminist rant. Very poor form I,m afraid.  If males who hate woman are misoginists, what are woman who hate men like Stott Despoja called ?

Message 7 of 187
Latest reply

Q&A

They're called misandrists

Message 8 of 187
Latest reply

Q&A

Well said in both posts.

Stott Despoja has always been that way.

Message 9 of 187
Latest reply

Q&A

@imastawka wrote:

They're called misandrists

Impressive, but be honest now. Did you actually know that or did you just google it    Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 187
Latest reply