One country

marwi_3023
Community Member
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-05/nsw-treasurer-makes-speech-to-boost-state-pride/10582676

This rubbish only serves to divide.
Personally I get sick of hearing from people who live in NSW saying how great they are and the rest of the country is nothing
Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

One country

try living in tasmania or south australia, some interstate shock jocks want us cut adrift from the rest of the country.

we once had the formula 1 grand prix, about the only big thing we had, but it got taken from us by victoria.

now we have the tour down under and nsw wants that.

Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

One country

marwi_3023
Community Member
I lived in South Australia for twenty nine years.
I know what it is like to be denergrated by every big mouthed NSW living person you meet.
I'm not saying that they are all like it and I have met some nice ones but they are few and far between
Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

One country

The New South Wales Treasurer has likened some Australian states to call centres and lunch rooms and described the past 200 years in other states as "pretty unremarkable".

The past 200 years in NSW have certainly not been unremarkable.

They can be summed up as  "The 3 Rs - from the Rum Corps to Wran and Rogerson; 200 Years of Crooked Coppers and Even Crooked Pollies".

Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

One country

At least South Australia and Tasmania weren't to be sacrificed to the Japanese during WWII

The Brisbane Line

Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

One country

@davidc4430 wrote:

try living in tasmania or south australia, some interstate shock jocks want us cut adrift from the rest of the country.

we once had the formula 1 grand prix, about the only big thing we had, but it got taken from us by victoria.

now we have the tour down under and nsw wants that.

It's not the citizens though who campaign for these things, it is the government or corporate interests & they will usually follow the money-and that's often to where there are more people who might buy their product.

So bigger cities are always going to have some advantages like that.

I'm in Melb and sometimes find it an annoyance that if i want to fly to a lot of places, I would have to go to Sydney first, but I realise it is just a commercial decision.

But as far as choosing a place in Australia to live, I think Tassie is way undervalued. Way, way undervalued. beautiful, pristine land, not overcrowded, some good sized cities and facilities.

Similar with Sth Australia. Adelaide, beautifully clean city, not too busy etc

About a week back, I was touring Bonegilla Migrant Experience centre, it was an army camp which after WW2 became a migrant centre. 1:20 Australians have links to some relative or ancestor who passed through there.

The guide was telling us that immediately after the war, many of the migrants/refugees that came out here signed an agreement to take a job wherever they were sent for 2 years, after which they were free to find another job/move house to wherever they wanted.

Many were sent up to Qld, some to WA, and so on.

They did have a riot there at one time-a protest group-they were protesting about having to mark time at the camp and not being given jobs quickly enough!!

A job is what allows people to save & eventually buy some of the things they might want, like a house etc. Maybe the govt should step in and help refugees etc by giving them a crash course in basic English then offering jobs around the country. I think if more people had the opportunity to actually see some of these other places and towns, they would like what they see and some would settle there, which would help the local economy too.

At the moment, we have everyone crowding into Melb & Sydney, putting a strain on services, when decentralisation would be a more sensible way to go.

Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

One country

@myoclon1cjerk wrote:
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-30/victoria-displaces-nsw-as-nations-strongest-economy/100506...

My 19 YO son has just purchased a one way ticket to Melbourne. ( from S.A. ) He is a talented musician and is looking to develop his interest after recent succesfull performances in Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane. He chose Melbourne as it has a much more vibrant arts culture than the other cities. It appears the Melbourne economy is very strong at the moment, as he has already had several job offers and he is not even there yet. He flies out next week..............Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

One country

marwi_3023
Community Member
But Victoria must be going down the toilet because we have awful, yucky, lying, corrupt unable to manage the economy Labor
Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

One country

@marwi_3023 wrote:
But Victoria must be going down the toilet because we have awful, yucky, lying, corrupt unable to manage the economy Labor

Marwi, People might treat your posts with a bit more respect if you presented your thoughts using adult language.

Unfortunately S.A has had a Labor government for more than a decade and it is going to take a long time for the newly elected  Liberals to clean up the mess. Teenagers are not prepared to wait around. They are in a rush to explore places and experience things and it will always be the case that the large population centres can offer a broader range of opportunities in areas such as the arts, regardless of which party is in office..

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply