PANTRY MOTHS

daughter in law loves organic and so brought some nuts into the house, a couple of weeks later I noticed what was a single maggot above my oven, thought that was strange then another one on the ceiling. googled it and guess what? Pantry moths. So every single item of food in the pantry got binned, cupboards vacced, washed and bay leaves put down. Pantry moth traps set.  All food once open goes into tupperware (or like) containers. DIL boughts some more nuts, opened the container the other day and here were the same buggers again. I notice the little moths flying around during the night and I kill them with windex, yes windex as normal fly spray doesn't work but the windex does.  However do you think I can find where they are breeding? It is slowly driving me insane.  Just wondering if anyone else has had the unfortunate experience in dealing with these little buggars and how please tell me that you eventually got rid of them short of moving house?

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

PANTRY MOTHS

I've had a couple of friends with  pantry moths but I think they were only in the pantry.. What got rid of them was bay leaves. Why I remember it is because they both came and got a couple of small branches from my bay  tree.

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

PANTRY MOTHS

As you were...with my eye sight------------though it was Panty Moths.

Windex works well on flies on fly wire windows as well.

One direct hit-------and they ......drop like flies...........................................................................Richo.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

PANTRY MOTHS

"Panty Moths"

gigglepuss.gif

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

PANTRY MOTHS

From the precautions you have taken I would say she is bringing them in with her.  Ask her to stick her nuts in the freezer (so glad it's not your SiL we're talking about here) for a couple of days to kill them off before they get into your house.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

PANTRY MOTHS

"Ask her to stick her nuts in the freezer (so glad it's not your SiL we're talking about here)"

blink1.gif

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

PANTRY MOTHS

esayaf
Community Member
It's hot enough here to enjoy sticking my nuts in the freezer
Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

PANTRY MOTHS

Sounds like you've done everything possible.

There could have been moth eggs still in nooks and crannies after the cleanup - even the screw holes of the door hinges or the  unsealed edging of the MDF shelves.  Apparently they like the glue used in its manufacture.

I suggest the DIL keep the nuts in the freezer (or at least the fridge) which also stops rancidity.  Perhaps the store from which she buys them needs to be a cooler atmosphere too.

More info here:http://www.urbangreengirl.com/2010/09/22/how-to-get-rid-of-pantry-and-flour-moths/

DEB

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

PANTRY MOTHS

As said previously,  I keep all nuts in a plastic container

in the fridge.  Nothing worse than rancid nuts when you need them.

I have always put dried bay leaves in with the flours and pasta

It stops the weevils and moths from hatching.

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

PANTRY MOTHS

What a good idea stawka

Woman LOL  panty moths?

heaven forbid!  Lol

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply