PNG Government splurges on 40 Maseratis

PNG Government splurges on 40 Maseratis for APEC leaders as polio returns to the country

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-12/png-splurges-on-40-custom-maseratis-as-polio-returns/10366734

great to know our aid is being spent wisely

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

HHHMMMM. Its easy to jump to the instant social media, outrage position, but without seeing the figures its very hard to form any sort of intelligent, reasoned opinion on the purchase. The PNG. APEC committee claim they will only use the cars for one week after the event and then they will be sold recouping the initial outlay.

Obviously the first thing that springs to mind is which high ranking PNG. government officials will be buying the used cars and at what price ? Setting my views of potential financial and political corruption aside for one moment, the APEC committee make the valid point that the gathering world leaders DO need to be transported in a fleet of safe, secure vehicles. PNG. is a highly unstable, dangerous country with porous borders, making world leaders a sitting duck for organised terrorists while in the country.

. It is unlikely PNG has the required bullet proof glassed, 750 BHP. cars available and even assembling that number of matching used cars through an international lease agreement would be expensive and difficult. 

It may well be more economical to bulk purchase the cars new from Maserati, use them for the event and then sell them on. Undoubtedly PNG. would receive a sizable discount for a purchase of 40 + identical spec., secure Maserati cars and they would have appeal as slightly used cars on the open market.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

i'm not buying it, even a maserati once its used loses a huge amount of its value.

the idea you can use the cars even for a week and resell them for even close to the purchase price just doesnt work for me.

buyers want a bargain otherwise they will just buy new.

a new commodore when i bought mine was about $45,000

my used one was $25,000, not because it was clapped out, just because second hand is second hand.

but that aside, if Apec require cars of a particular type then Apec should supply their own damn cars.

its another rort.

what, you expect us to ride around in used cars?

yes i darn well do.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

marwi_3023
Community Member
David, you're right. No way ever that anyone sells a used vehicle anywhere near new vehicle price.
Just imagine the expensive flying them there.
Cars are normally transported by ship to reduce costs
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

marwi_3023
Community Member
Should be expense not expensive
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I agree with chameleon.

The news report is like a lot of others I see where the headlines encourage bias. The word 'splurges' immediately evokes an image of extravagance.

The cars are expensive, I don't doubt that, but I agree with the Australian assistant minister who said the main query should not be about the brand but about whether they meet the safety specifications. I had a friend who lived in PNG, admittedly quite some time ago, but they had to live in a secure compound, it's not like here where we wander freely. If I were a world leader, I'd be wanting some guarantee the transport was as safe as it could be.

I also agree with david that there is no way the government will get all the money back on the purchase and delivery cost of the cars, even if they have only been used a week.  I would hope the overall sales return price is made clear so the public is assurred the politicians didn't go picking up a half price bargain etc

But those cars may get back a lot more than we imagine. Forget the maserati name for a second & think of the lawlessness of the country. The government may not have paid the usual import taxes to get the cars there & now suddenly there are 40 top of the range secure cars available. There might be quite a few business people in PNG who will be very interested. It may not be like buying a normal car, if it has top security features eg bullet proof windows etc, then it could be a small number of cars for the demand. And if import or luxury taxes weren't paid by the gov't they may be able to sell them for close what they paid and still seem like a competitive price for private citizens.

Be interesting to find out how it goes.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I am of the opinion that the APEC leaders should not even be having a meeting in PNG.  The country is quite poor (and in some places quite primitive and dangerous)

To comply with the demands of these "high ranking" meetings, means paying astronomical amounts not only to protect the members, but to their perceived and real needs at the level they (the members) are accustomed to.

In PNG, that price and demand is too high and in my opinion, the APEC meetings should be held in 'affluent' countries that can afford/want it.  Better still, video conferencing is a better option, no cars needed, no luxuries poured upon them and a good option for the long suffering taxpayers.  It is after all, now the 21st century, and technology could save the day and place that money where it is urgently needed.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

not unlike when poor countries put on the olympics

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Yes exactly David, I can't argue with that, I totally agree.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply