PRODUCT RECALL Lettuce and mixed leaves RECALL - don't eat your salad before reading this

The list of those recalled are in the article, I wonder if it is limited to those?

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/coles-and-woolworths-caught-up-in-toxic-lettuce-recall/news-st...

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

PRODUCT RECALL Lettuce and mixed leaves RECALL - don't eat your salad before reading this

I wonder how it happened?? Lettuce is one of the last things I woul'dve thought could give you salmonella.

We have a bag of baby spinach leaves that I might have to stop using .. though we've been eating it and all is well

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

On the radio they said it might be linked back to the fertiliser.

We ate a pack of spinach last week - have no idea what the date was but I think they are usually a short use by date. I always wash

prewashed stuff, not sure how much that helps if it contaminated though. Feeling fine here.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
Washing does help. It won't completely remove the viral load but will dramatically reduce it.
Apparently free spiders are included now, wether you like them or not
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

This is why I hand wash and turn over every leaf. I don't like eating insects nor insect killers.

Apparently if you wash in 1 part apple cider vinegar to 9 parts water you can remove 99% of pesticides - wonder how true that is.

I do it and with berries I let them sit in it for several minutes and then give them a good rinse.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
Vinegar is a mild acid with antibacterial properties, so a very good idea
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I usually put the vinegar on them first and shake it around at full strength and then add water to the bowl for their soak.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

I bought the mixed salad from woolies on Tuesday and ate it that day and had the rest of the bag the next night.

So far, (touch wood) haven't felt any ill effects.  How soon would after would you get sick?

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

I believe it can take between 6 and 72 hours to get sick.
Probably depends on the degree of exposure.
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply