Passive aggressive?

moonflyte
Community Member

Adam Goodes  chose not to get the cheers and respect he would have got from the crowd, he chose not to acknowledge the people who loved him and elevated him to a position he could only have reached by playing football, he chose to  leave  the game in silence. to snub the crowd, his fans and a very few boo'ers, the other retiring player was carried off the field with roars of appreciation

I like Adam, he was a superb athlete and wonderful player, awards were bestowed upon him and the highest award of Australian of the year was given to him.

I acknowledge he worked in the background for his indigenous brothers and sisters and good on him. But....he slapped the fans in the face, not just the boo'ers but all his fans and most of Australians

Now take  another Australian of the Year Rosie Battye, a person who has used her year to work tirelessly, she raised DV to a level that it has never been raised before, her profile skyrocketed and she is a superb ambassador for the cause, she will never give up her battle.

See any difference here?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Passive aggressive?

honestly I don't think the booing was anything to do with his race or colour it was more about him as a player. The same as lots used to call wally lewis and those blokes names and boo them back in the day.

I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Passive aggressive?

The whole problem of racial identity and pride is a very complex issue with no easy answers. Countries around the world that have been colonised, and indigenous cultures suppressed, have always struggled to manage social dislocation and disengagement by original inhabitants.

Maybe because Australia has only been settled by whites for a bit over 200 years and several generations, our problems are still very raw, with many indigenous Australians still feeling animosity and seperatism from modern white society. In order to encourage social inclusion and to develop strong indigenous role models, aborigines are often offered accelerated development and ongoing protection in sporting and leadership roles. What some see as overt favouritism can cause jealousy and friction along the way. This is not to say the indigenous players such as Adam Goodes and Andrew McLeod havnt earned their sporting success based on merit.

My daughter plays junior netball in one of our states top premier league teams. There is a young, talented under age indigenous girl who has received preferential treatment and accelerated development. Although very young, she has been put in the Div. one team ahead of taller more experienced players. The main rival player for her position, who was placed below the indigenous girl in Div. two has just been selected and played for our state team at national level, something that the indigenous girl would not currently be suitable for (, she has a lot of potential though )   Meanwhile the small stature and lack of player experience due to age has seen the young indigenous girl, hold the team back slightly. At award ceremonies, the indigenous girl has just won runner up best and fairest.

As a parent, I do have reservations about the merit of the clubs decisions. The young aboriginal girl is a nice kid who has the potential to play sport at the highest elite level. So too do many other non indeginous players in the club. Her parents are  completely modern, intelligent, professional people. The family could well be seen as role models for a successful modern aboriginal family, which is quietly confident and proud of their family heritage.

Maybe leading organisations DO need to offer prefferential  treatment to talented indigenous Australians in order to try to redress the balance, against ingrained social prejudice and provide opportunities for indigenous role models. BUT THIS WILL CAUSE FRICTION along the way.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Passive aggressive?

For those who cant be bothered reading my university theosis, how about this.

Australian bogan sporting culture dictates that we see our sporting heroes as warriers. No one likes to see a warrior sooking because a young girl calls him a very bad name. ( not saying I agree with this, but thats how it is )

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Passive aggressive?

j*oono
Community Member

Poor Adam Goodes, he can't do anything right.  If he wanted the whole rigmarole farewell then people would be whinging about that too.

I bet he can't wait until everything he says and everything he does is incessantly speculated on.

Hey, here's an idea.  Maybe He just wanted to retire quietly because that's the way he is.

Joono
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Passive aggressive?

Didnt you read  my post?

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply