Paying penalty rates means potentially profitable periods like Easter are a dead zone

nero_bolt
Community Member

Paying penalty rates means potentially profitable periods like Easter are a dead zone 

• Ross Greenwood
  • April 23, 2014 4:24PM

IF you wandered around cities or country towns over Easter and wondered why nothing seemed to be open ... get angry. 

The main reason is this: penalty rates.

The argument for penalty rates is that people don’t like to be inconvenienced having to work on weekends or public holidays.

So they should be paid extra money for losing that time with family.

That sort of argument might have flown in a different era — the 1950s maybe — but in a 24-7 world, it makes no sense.

For example, you can now internet shop any day of the year, at any time.

You can do your banking, trade shares and order pizza.

It makes no difference to you if this happens to fall on a Sunday, Tuesday or Easter Monday. In other words, your shopping and consumption habits have changed.

But the rules regarding penalty rates have barely moved.

Under the previous Government they went backwards, as enterprise bargaining agreements and workplace contracts were stiffened up by Fair Work Australia.

The Labor government called it “modern awards” — perhaps the worst misnomer ever attributed to any piece of Australian law.

“Modern awards” mean’t employers often had to pay their employees higher hourly rates.

This weekend waiting staff who worked on the four days declared public holidays by the state government earned up to double time and a half their normal rate.

You can see the impost on employers.

And the general rule of thumb for expenditure for many small businesses is this: quarter rent, a quarter wages, a quarter stock and a quarter profit.

But if you double the wages bill a public holiday, the maths tells you the owners profit share from the business quickly evaporates.

That’s where the lack of fairness lies; and it’s why so many shops and tourism attractions were closed over Easter.

And far from helping all employees (some, it should be said, prefer to work weekends because it helps couples with child-rearing) penalty rates are a handbrake on youth employment because if businesses close on weekends, there is less opportunity for young workers trying to get a few shifts.

But if the Federal Government says it can’t stop this archaic system — at least not before another Federal Election — then a simple way to tweak it would be to follow the NSW Business Chamber’s model.

That is to pay people their normal-time wages on the first five days they work (be that Monday to Friday or Wednesday to Sunday).

Then, if they work an extra day — they should then be paid some form of penalty rate.

I recognise this as a compromise — but at least it’s better than the system we have now.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Paying penalty rates means potentially profitable periods like Easter are a dead zone

@am*3 wrote:
Penal rate % is the same for any Public hol whether it is a weekday or weekend day. 
Depends on where you work and who bargained your award. 

% of wage rate

Full and part time

Mon - Fri 100%

Sat - 125%   Sat 150%

Sun - 175%  Sun 200%

Pub Hol - 250%  Pub Hol 150% 
So if I work Sunday public holiday I get my 200% plus 150% on top. 

Casual ( inclusive of 25% leave loading)

Mon - Fri - 125%

Sat - $150 %

Sun - 175%

Pub Hol - 275%

https://extranet.deewr.gov.au/ccmsv8/CiLiteKnowledgeDetailsFrameset.htm?KNOWLEDGE_REF=216303&TYPE=X&...

Message 21 of 23
Latest reply

Re: Paying penalty rates means potentially profitable periods like Easter are a dead zone

Where I used to work we received penalty rates but not penalty rates on top of shift loading or on top of the rates paid for  public holidays or weekends.

If I worked on a Saturday I would get 50% extra and on Sunday it was 75% and for a public holiday it was 150% (Christmas day was special and we would get triple time) but we either got one or the other, there was no penalty rate plus a public holiday rate.

Casual rates are higher because casual workers do not accrue any paid annual leave and nor do they receive any sick leave allowance.

Message 22 of 23
Latest reply

One award here is fior full timers

Sat => Time and a half

Sun => Time and 3/4

Public Holidays => Double time on time

Before 7am and after 9pm => time and half regular days and + 1/2 on loaded days

Salaried woirkers get regular salary for weekends, but double time on time for any public holidays worked. There is no option to take time in lieu which equates to regular pay for the day worked plus two additional days off,.

Leave Loading for both groups is 17%

Contract workers is whatever they agreed to which in one case is $300 per day regardless of what day it is and $600 for successive days in lockdown conditions. I.e. if they are there at the request of a VIP and on call and quarantined to the establishment for the duration of the VIPs stay and after 10 successive days an additional surcharge of $1000 is applied.

Casuals get a standard hourly rate regardless of the day or time which varies depoending on the classification of the establishment

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 23 of 23
Latest reply