Pell compares priests to truckers

He really did say this:

"If a driver sexually assaulted a passenger they picked up along the way,  I don't think it appropriate for the … leadership of that company be held responsible.''

Comparing children attending church to hitchhikers?!!!!!!!!!!!  Cat Surprised

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: Pell compares priests to truckers

@bushies.girl wrote:

Omg I am NOT going to "split hairs" over how many were or were not dismissed ..... Who cares?  What I care about is the innocent children who were abused and the total failure of the church to report the abuse the police   

looks to me like you're both in agreement with each other, not arguing against.

Message 31 of 56
Latest reply

Nova I know of an Anglican minister who covered it up and went on to become a bishop. I can't say that the church knew of the cover up, I dont think it did when it happened.  It all came out when he applied for a higher position in Adelaide and the victim came forward and told his story. The prob was the "cover up" couldnt  be proven 😞

Message 32 of 56
Latest reply

From a "survivors" point of view please believe that the passing of years does not diminish the pain, anger and hatred felt toward any religious organisation.

You may get smart and learn to compartmentalise the past to allow you to live in the present, but it is always there just under the surface.

Sometimes it is something as simple as the sight of a particular religious outfit/uniform that is your undoing and no amount of trauma therapy can prevent the ensuing panic attack.

It affects every facet of your family and daily life.

To all intents and purposes it is the equivalent of a life sentence.

Sadly for most of us there will never be any justice as the persons responsible are no longer alive.

Cardinal Pell is not the only leader to have little or no empathy for what happened, he just seems to be more upfront about it.

Message 33 of 56
Latest reply

I was querying (and others queried it too)  the claim made that 'some' priests were dismissed, not just transferred to other parishes when they were found to have been abusing children. As if being dismissed without charges laid is any better than transferring them to other places.

Even being dismissed was wrong, if they had abused children and police weren't notified to invesitgate, and charge them if appropriate and put them in jail, instead of letting them carry on abusing children elsewhere. Which is what you have just said..

Message 34 of 56
Latest reply

@karliandjacko wrote:

bushies.girl wrote: 
Omg I am NOT going to "split hairs" over how many were or were not dismissed ..... Who cares?  What I care about is the innocent children who were abused and the total failure of the church to report the abuse the police   

looks to me like you're both in agreement with each other, not arguing against.

Yes

I didn't see this post before I posted my last one.

Message 35 of 56
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:
Why.. Do you think that should say some were dismissed but not all?

How many were dismissed and appropriate action taken.. Abuse reported to police? The Church(es) went to great lengths to keep the abuse quiet.

How were many dismissed ( and charged) in the 1950's or 1960's or 1970's?

Take note of the bolded bits, bg.

Message 36 of 56
Latest reply

The ones I KNOW about were dismissed and charged and convicted.

I am only guessing that some were not charged because no one reported them to the police? I am guessing that some police refused to bring charges.

I am only guessing that some investigations came to nothing because some parents and or victims did not take it further.

Some parents refused to take it further............. some told the children to stop telling lies.

I have no way of knowing the numbers.

Message 37 of 56
Latest reply

Have no idea who you are talking to AM*3, my post wasnt aimed at you lol

Message 38 of 56
Latest reply

You knew these priests personally? or just read about them? I knew the bishop I mentioned personally, was a bit of a shock when I saw it in the paper

Message 39 of 56
Latest reply

I knew the children. It was not in my Parish.

Message 40 of 56
Latest reply