Perth mum claims she was targeted by police

Perth mum claims she was unfairly targeted by police during licence check

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-15/mother-claims-police-harrassment-over-unpaid-fines/9050214

its stories like this that make me glad i was born white.

ive never had a bad police encounter, been breath tested a few times and its allways been quick and i'm on my way.

i dont drink.

they have never 'run' my drivers licence.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

While its probable the police where racially stereotyping this mum, you dont just have to be black to face unwarrented police attention.

Try being a law abiding, young male in a nice car with P plates. Our son has been targeted on several occasions with police intent on finding something to book him on. The last encounter a few weeks ago saw his car defected because after an extensive inspection, they found one new tire he had just fitted was the wrong weight rating.

A few months ago we had to spend $2500 defending an unfounded police allegation in court. Our sons driving licence was immediatly suspended on the spot based on an unfounded claim. We sought an urgent court hearing at which the judge reinstated the licence 48 hours later, subject to going to trial. After several court appearances and adjournments, and months of expense, inconvenience and worry the police prosecuter dropped the charges 5 minutes before our final court appearance. This was as we where all dressed up ready to enter court and both ourselves and our lawyer had travelled over 100 km. to attend the court.

As a farmer in a muddy farm ute with dogs and tool boxes on the back, I stand out from the daily city commutors. This means I am stopped regularly by police for a " random breath test ", which is an excuse to see if I have left a shovel on the back of the ute, or have a D shackle on my trailer that is not stamped with the weight rating.

My son has been stopped 4 or 5 times in last six months, and I have probably been stopped 7-8 times in the past six months. Frankly it has got completely out of hand lately and I,ve had enough of police harrasment. Just leave me alone to get on with trying to earn an honest living.

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

I've never been unfairly targeted but I have noticed in random breath tests that more than the policemen, some policewomen seem just that bit more officious to the point of being nasty (I'm female BTW).  They're all wasting their time.  I don't drink.

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

I'm all for breath testing if it saves lives but not for unfair targetting  which is horrifying.   

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

The one thing that stood out to me about this story is that she was (eventually) ordered to get out of her vehicle because she was under suspicion of driving with a suspended licence, and she 'refused'. After she refused things went downhill. It seems pertinent bits of the story might be missing! Maybe the full story contains details that explain the police action.

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

@not_for_sale2017 wrote:

The one thing that stood out to me about this story is that she was (eventually) ordered to get out of her vehicle because she was under suspicion of driving with a suspended licence, and she 'refused'. After she refused things went downhill. It seems pertinent bits of the story might be missing! Maybe the full story contains details that explain the police action.

Maybe........ but I think there has been a definate change in the type of people who are choosing to become police officers or there have been changes in the recruitment process. Up until 4 or 5 years ago, I was like most law abiding people and believed the police where trying to do a difficult job and should be respected and if you did the right thing you had nothing to worry about.

A number of incidents I have witnessed recently have changed my view. While there are still many " good cops " in the system who have a genuine interest in serving the community, there seems to be rapidly increasing numbers of the the bad eggs getting through. These are the thugs and bullies who enjoy pushing people around and will say or do what ever it takes to get a conviction, including stretching the truth or down right lying in statements and to court. They also have a propensity to immediatly use unnecessary force the moment they see any potential problem.

Maybe the excessive force bit can be explained by their need to manage volotile and unpredictable drug users, but this does not explain the narcasism, lying and general untrustwothy nature of so many of the current crop of police.

At the extreme end, one of our local cops has recently been removed from the force for actively engaging in all facets of crime and drug manufacture and sales. You can say, yes he was booted out, but it was only after a number of years of corrupt behavior. There must have been a culture within the force that turned a blind eye or where activily implicit in his activities for them to continue for so long.

Sorry, but while I recognise a few of the good guys still exist in the police force, ( usually assigned to the front counter or country posts )  I think by and large it has already been taken over by a bunch of U.S style thugs and bullies.

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

Maybe! I realise there are good cops and bad cops, as there are good workers and bad workers in almost every field of work. I could tell you a couple of horror stories with the cops from my earlier years. But with respect to this case, we only know her version of what happened and we don't know anything about the character of the cops involved. Hopefully we will find out what really happened some time down the track.

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

isnt this why when dealing with a part of society who allready have a hate for police because of the well documented abuse they have suffered over a very long period, the police should tread carefully?

if anything in the story was untrue i'm pretty sure it wouldnt have gotten printed.

we are talking ABC not one of ruperts rags.

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

isnt this why when dealing with a part of society who allready have a hate for police because of the well documented abuse they have suffered over a very long period, the police should tread carefully?

if anything in the story was untrue i'm pretty sure it wouldnt have gotten printed.

How would the media know what really happened unless they witnessed what occurred?

And are you suggesting the ABC is honest, and accurately reports the news without bias? Now that would be a first LOL.

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

@not_for_sale2017 wrote:

@davidc4430 wrote:

How would the media know what really happened unless they witnessed what occurred?

And are you suggesting the ABC is honest, and accurately reports the news without bias? Now that would be a first LOL.

no, i'm sugesting if there was something in the story that was untrue the hundreds of anti ABC people would have made a complaint.

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply