Peter Greste Free And On His Way Home!

The Greste family spent 400 days fighting for their son's freedom. In the end it came so fast it made their heads spin.

But exactly when the Al Jazeera journalist will be back on Australian soil remains unclear, as his family closes ranks around him to protect his mental health.

They say he'll need time in his safe haven of Cyprus, to digest the fact he's finally free after more than a year in an Egyptian jail.

Lois, father Juris, and brother Andrew laughed and at times blinked back tears as they spoke of the extraordinary international campaign to free Peter and two of his Al Jazeera colleagues following their arrest in December 2013.

They said Peter wanted to thank everyday Australians, journalists world wide, and leaders including US President Barack Obama and Prime Minister Tony Abbott for fighting to free him from his seven-year jail term.

There was special thanks too for Foreign Minister Julie Bishop, but the highest praise was reserved for diplomats, particularly those on the ground in Cairo, who did the leg work.

"While we're in knighthood mode, I would commend them and recommend them for a collective knighthood, one and all," Juris told reporters.

The family's euphoria has been tempered by the fact Peter's colleagues - Canadian-Egyptian Mohamed Fahmy and producer Baher Mohamed, who is Egyptian - remain locked up on charges described as politically motivated.

Entire Article Here

I hope his colleagues will be released soon.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

gleee58
Community Member

Yes, we know. It's been on the news all day. 

His mother and father are ecstatic and could not stop beaming throughout the press conference, that one of our posters complained about the Greste's hogging the limelight in.   Well duh, it was their press conference so I would expect them to feature prominently..

Peter must be so relieved to be free.  Hopefully his colleagues will not be far behind.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

vicr3000
Community Member

Icy

I made a comment in the Gov't thread.

I reckon we (as in Aus) called in a few favors from the US on this one as they still have a fair bit of leverage with Turkey

due to weapon systems being delivered.

Anyway, Abbott and Bishop and the diplomats did well.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Glee

I see you can't even give credit where credit is due.

Typical.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

@vicr3000 wrote:

Glee

I see you can't even give credit where credit is due.

Typical.

Would you stop with your nasty personal comments please.  Or is that impossible for you?

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

@gleee58 wrote:

Yes, we know. It's been on the news all day. 

His mother and father are ecstatic and could not stop beaming throughout the press conference, that one of our posters complained about the Greste's hogging the limelight in.   Well duh, it was their press conference so I would expect them to feature prominently..

Peter must be so relieved to be free.  Hopefully his colleagues will not be far behind.

Unfortunately, Baher Mohamed will remain in prison.

(This news is 10 hours old)

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Glee

No, quite happy thanks, it isn't personal at all. Just throwing your words back at you.

You are always carping on that Abbott and the Gov't never does anything.

Well, they got him released but you are so nasty and full of hate you can't even give credit where it is due.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

@vicr3000 wrote:

Icy

I made a comment in the Gov't thread.

I reckon we (as in Aus) called in a few favors from the US on this one as they still have a fair bit of leverage with Turkey

due to weapon systems being delivered.

Anyway, Abbott and Bishop and the diplomats did well.

Ok sorry I didn't see that. I don't go into the stinking thread much.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

• Is jungle juice on special today?
Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

polksaladallie wrote:

(This news is 10 hours old)

Yes I know I heard it on the news this morning. I was expecting a thread about it  but we were too busy speculating about Mr Abbott's continued Prime Ministership, I guess.

Hence why I started this one. I felt it deserved a mention on CS.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply