Phoenix electric folding bike

I have brought a phoenix electric folding bike iv nearly had two accidents the last one I ended up in hospital with broken ribs, back ,arm and chest damage, u put brakes on and they take off ,I have heard this of others even with scooters, SO BECAREFUL 

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Phoenix electric folding bike

Oh and this is apart from the fact electric bikes are not for the roads nor footpaths. LOL

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

So the doctor advised you to sue other members on the community forum?

I think not

It is not up to other members to get a solution for you, so kindly don't 'threaten' people here

Get your solicitor to contact the seller (most likely in China) you made the choice to by from

Given, once again, the bike was unlikely to have been up to Australian safety standards in the first place, not sure you are going to get the outcome you are aiming for 

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

In Victoria, e-bikes have the same rules as a normal bicycle, but it depends on whether it meets the definition of a power assisted bicycle.

(https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/cyclist-safety/power-assisted-bicycles)

The day that I even consider ordering an e-bike from a Chinese eBay seller is the day that Satan opens a ice-skating rink in hell. If I want to buy an e-bike, it will be from an authorised Australian business and the e-bike and any batteries will meet Australian standards.

There are unavoidable risks in life… and there are foreseeable avoidable risks for things over which it is not worth your life and limbs.

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

Were we wearing a helmet. LOL

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

First time - braked and the bike ' took off '.

Second time - braked - seems the brakes were so good - over the handlebars he/she went.

Anyone else confused.  ??

Yes, I did notice it seemed to be 2 different problems with the brakes.

My brother in law and his wife used to ride some sort of what they called electric bike many years ago. It may have been power assisted type for all I know, but anyhow, whatever they had was legal in Vic and they used them a lot (with helmets).

I seem to recall they said they had to get used to the brakes, compared to a pedal bike. How they work and how efficient they were. But it is a long time ago now and they aren't here any more for me to double check.

I suspect that cls0836 may not have applied the brakes in the first accident and maybe slammed on the brakes in the second.

If the bike is suspected of being faulty, then first port of call would be to have someone who services these bikes have a look to establish if there is actually anything wrong with it.

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

These bikes are faulty, you might aswell have no brakes  ,cause if you use the brakes the bike will take off ,which is what happened, a man in Sydney was on the wrong side of the road &was killed I believe that's what happened to him ,

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

You haven’t posted the item number. You can find this by looking at the original listing from your My Purchases.

If you post that item number of the listing, we can check the listing to note any red flags.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

You haven’t posted the item number. You can find this by looking at the original listing from your My Purchases.

If you post that item number of the listing, we can check the listing to note any red flags.

Without even seeing the listing, I can almost guarantee two BIG red flags. Bargain price, because ebay is the place for bargains afterall, and Chinese seller. I'll put money on it. 

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

@cls0836.lzmsuqj wrote:

These bikes are faulty, you might aswell have no brakes  ,cause if you use the brakes the bike will take off ,which is what happened, a man in Sydney was on the wrong side of the road &was killed I believe that's what happened to him ,

But was your bike faulty? That's the question you need to get answered. Just saying you or someone else had an accident with one is not proof, you need to have your bike tested to see if there is actually anything wrong with it.

You have to learn to ride these types of bikes. From what I understand, electric bikes can propel themselves continuously, even when you're not pedalling.  You have to be prepared for that. They accelerate faster than a pedal bike and they take a longer distance to stop because they are heavier.  

From what I have read, accidents with e bikes tend to land people in hospital more than regular bike users, mainly because the bikes go faster and are so much heavier.

I did read one comment about these bikes on an e bike info website:

it is important to choose a high-quality e-bike that is reliable, durable, and safe. E-bikes from renowned manufacturers, like the ENGWE C20 PRO and EP2-PRO, are designed to meet strict safety standards and offer a smooth, comfortable ride.

Before purchasing an e-bike, it is important to do your research and choose a reputable brand with a proven track record of safety and reliability.

I am not saying that your bike was not faulty, just that you need to gather the evidence of what exactly was wrong with it, in what way it was faulty.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply