Plane missing with 236 people on board

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-08/malaysia-airlines-lost-contact-with-plane/5307888

Malaysia Airlines says one of its planes has gone missing on the way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people on board.

A statement from the airline says flight MH370 lost contact with air traffic controllers at 2:40am local time, just over two hours into the flight.

The plane, a Boeing 777-200, left Kuala Lumpur at 12:41am on Saturday, and had been due to arrive in Beijing at 6:30am local time.

The company says the plane was carrying 227 passengers, including two infants, and 12 crew members.

The airline says it is contacting the next-of-kin of all passengers and crew, which includes people of 13 different nationalities.

In a statement on the airline's website, group chief executive officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said the airline was working with authorities to locate the aircraft.

"Focus of the airline is to work with the emergency responders and authorities and mobilise its full support," the statement said.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members."

The airline says it will provide regular updates on its website.

The ABC understand Malaysia Airlines will hold a press conference on the incident shortly.

Message 1 of 688
Latest reply
687 REPLIES 687

Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 688
Latest reply

I just saw that on fb, not good. I wish there was more news about it.
Message 3 of 688
Latest reply

7 Australians onboard Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 688
Latest reply

Just awful 😞  My daughter is flying out there next week.

Message 5 of 688
Latest reply

http://my.news.yahoo.com/mas-aircraft-goes-missing--says-airline-023820132.html

Tuoi Tre, a leading daily in Vietnam, reports that the Vietnamese Navy has confirmed the plane crashed into the ocean.  According to Navy Admiral Ngo Van Phat, Commander of the Region 5, military radar recorded that the plane crashed into the sea at a location 153 miles South of Phu Quoc island.

Vietnam's largest news site, reports that Vietnam Emergency Rescue Center just announced it has found signal of the missing plane at 9.50am 120 miles South West of Ca Mau cape, the Southern-most point of Vietnam.

The signal is believed to be the ELT (Emergency Locator Transmittor) , which can be activated manually by the flight crew or automatically upon impact.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 6 of 688
Latest reply

Woman Sad

Message 7 of 688
Latest reply

Oh that is so very sad, what an awful tragedy.  The poor passengers and their families.

candle1.gif

Message 8 of 688
Latest reply

Message 9 of 688
Latest reply

The Malaysian Airline site has just been updated. Says still not located. Sea search continues, air search will resume at daylight.

They have released the passenger list.

Message 10 of 688
Latest reply