Police issuing demerit points for cyclists caught using their phone? No, but fines still apply

Police issuing demerit points for cyclists caught using their phone? No, but fines still apply

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-17/queensland-police-not-issuing-demerit-points-for-cyclists/103...

ok, so getting a fine and/or demerit points for talking on your phone whilst riding a bike, hmmm.

does that mean anywhere? road, bike lane, footpath, cycle track?

i get the 'must not be using a mobile phone when driving.' as your in control of several tons of fast moving steel. if you lose control you can kill people.

but come on, on a bike! so maybe you fall off, even in front of a bus, and die. its unlikely you will kill anyone but yourself.

and holy cow! $400 fine!!

what about people walking and talking/texting/playing games, who walk out into traffic!

are they going to pass a law you cant be walking and  talking/texting/playing games on your phone next?

yes i know the demerit points were an error, but going by this its just a matter of time.

a fine thats more than the value of the boke, the phone and even the helmet! you have to laugh.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Don't know about other States, but NSW a pushie is regarded as a vehicle and riders are subject to

the same rules as a motor vehicle.

I remember some time back, reading about a woman who was fined in West Oz for using her phone when pushing a pram.

Vague recollection that the fine was withdrawn.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

A local numnut caught the eyes of the Plod Squad here, not so long ago.

He was cycling without a helmet and was texting at the same time.

Turns out said phone contained all his drug deals, and his backpack was

chockers with methamphetamine.

Ya gotta larf.    exploding.gif

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Stawks,

GOOD !!!!!!!!!!

He deserved it, and more!

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply