Question for she--ele

Do you have knowledge of the Elizabeth Jolley writing competition, and if so is it worth entering? ๐Ÿ˜

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Question for she--ele

I didn't know much about it, Jean - I'm not really into short stories, but I had a look around and gfound this:

https://www.australianbookreview.com.au/prizes/elizabeth-jolley-story-prize/current-jolley

I'd say it's definitely worth giving it a go. $20 entry fee is not exorbitant and anything that gets you writing and polishing is always worthwhile. 

This is a list of previous winners - with links to their stories.; https://www.australianbookreview.com.au/prizes/elizabeth-jolley-story-prize/past-winners.

GO FOR IT! 

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Question for she--ele

Oh rats, that link to the winners' stories doesn't work.   I found another link that shows some of the winner's story only to find that to read the rest of it you have to subscribe to ABR.   From what I read however his writing is excellent, which is to be  expected for a competition in the name  of Elizabeth Jolley.  I've always adored her novels and short stories, for their superb and crystal clear prose,  and quirky characters.  I did meet her once when she was a guest at a writers' conference I helped to organise and she was the most unassuming lady in person.    

Having said all that I knew nothing about the competition, but I would say go for it too,  one never knows. 

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Question for she--ele

Oh, bummer! I didn't click on the actual links to the stories, just on the link to the winners. Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Question for she--ele

Thanks guys. I am at 2k words and still going. It is more stop than go with the inspiration, still there is plenty of time before submission times. This has always been on the bucket list. โ˜บ๏ธ

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Question for she--ele

Just remember to stop at 5k and you'll be ok     

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply