Reading Club - fiction & non-fiction

What y'all reading?

Seems like there's a lot of bookworms around here. I'm currently a quarter of the way through Teach Yourself Fitness, great non-fiction book mainly about the mindset and motivation behind effective exercise. If that's not your cup of tea, tell me what is below!

Message 1 of 80
Latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Re: Reading Club - fiction & non-fiction

Time to revisit this classic.
Fyodor Dostoevsky-The Brothers Karamazov.
Message 71 of 80
Latest reply

I've jut finished reading The Girl In The Spiderweb" - the fourth book in the "Girl with The Dragon Tattoo series. What a disappointment.It had none of the drama and immediacy of the first three books, just page after page of technical despcriptions of people using computers and page after page of he author filling us in on the details of things that had happened previously and people we had never met before..  

Message 72 of 80
Latest reply

Not surprising,  as you would probably know it was not written by the author of the Millenium series Stieg Larsson .  

Written by David Lagercrantz, it is the first not to be authored by creator Stieg Larsson, who died of a heart attack in 2004.

I actually couldn't get into Larsson's  books, Smiley Frustrated and I tried very hard, though thoroughly enjoyed the Movie .....  The girl with the Dragon Tattoo. 

Message 73 of 80
Latest reply

I am currently reading the biography of 

J R R Tolkien.

A good read although not finished.

Greatness often comes from humble beginnings

as did Tolkien.

Also he first presented "Lord Of The Rings" to

Collins publishers and they sent it back, not

Interested.

They would be regreting that error of judgement.

It was later published by Unwin & Allen,

The rest is history. 

Message 74 of 80
Latest reply

moonflyte
Community Member

I read the thre books of the Steig Larson trilogy.  It got a bit hard going in the end though.

Message 75 of 80
Latest reply

Just been recommended "Shantaram" Gregory David Roberts.

image host
Message 76 of 80
Latest reply

I've just finished reading a book my sister gave me for Christmas - Murder On The Home Front by Molly Lefebure. It's an account of her work during the early 1940s as secretary to a well known pathologist Dr Keith Simpson. Her job involved attending crime scenes, inquests and murder trials with him and sitting alongside him in mortuaries, typing reports to his dictation as he performed autopsiesShe must have had a remarkably strong stomach. It is a fascinating insight into the day to day workings of a mortuariy and into the life of Londoners - specially in the poorer areas - during the war years. The living conditions in some of the East end slums must have ben truly awful.

Message 77 of 80
Latest reply

Sounds interesting She_ele .... I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.

I have just been hooked introduced to the J.D Robb In Death series.  I've avoided them in the past because I'm not a huge fan of Nora Roberts novels (same author different name) but I'm really enjoying these ones

Message 78 of 80
Latest reply

I've always enjoyed the thriller series by J D Robb,  she writes in a really gritty style unlike her romances under her 'real' name.

I'm re reading my all time favourite James Lee Burke ... Heartwood.  He writes like an angel though there's a lot of brutality in his novels though not gratuitous.

Message 79 of 80
Latest reply

I've just started reading "Only the Animals" by Ceridwen Dovey and I am loving it so far. It is a collection of stories by the aouls of animals who lived and died during manmade conflicts over the past century or so. It is so well written. There is not one wasted word, no fillers and it is funny, poignant and has quite a kick to it.

Unlike "Shantaram" which, even though Greg told me that it was meant to be a much larger book except that the publishers insisted upon editing, it could have done with more imo.[He said that every word that he begrudgingly let go was like discarding his babies.] It has one of the best opening lines that I have read and it is quite an adventure that he had but I gave up about half way through which is shame because there is a lot of brilliance in that book.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 80 of 80
Latest reply