Regarding close contacts .....meow

So a family member gets smitten with coronavirus and so obligated to isolate and self treat as best as can , along with close contacts , as a precaution so as to protect the wider community 

Sound procedures and reasonable considering the often life threatening condition and lack of officially prescribed  self-treatments  prior to hospital 

But has something been overlooked  ? A potential spanner in the works of recovery , a furry spanner in this case ?

As seems now that the pet moggy can easily acquire and be a carrier and spreader of coronavirus 

Is referred as feline coronavirus when ordering test kits online but appears the same as what blights people 

This being the case if expedient to confront , might be an idea to make provision to include the family cat as a close contact and treat accordingly ( not thinking euthanise ) 

ps - if your cat has recently disappeared or dropped dead without obvious reason particularly of families blighted with clinically validated coronavirus .......

https://www.studyfinds.org/humans-transmit-covid-19-to-cats/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11620205/cats-spread-coronavirus-humans-symptoms-study/

(ps - were cats on order at the Wuhan market ? ) 

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Regarding close contacts .....meow

@sandypebbles wrote:

Nah, only cats cat sh!t

I can't help but keep thinking of Danil Medvedev calling the umpire a small cat🤣

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

I'd say that if a pet comes down with covid, then they most likely caught it from their owners. Where else would they catch it, as it isn't as if they attend parties or go visiting friends.

Dogs at least stay in their own backyard and if they are taken on a walk, they aren't normally near other people except in passing. They are pretty much in permanent quarantine except for being with family.

The chances of it going the other way-of a pet passing covid on to an owner, would be pretty low.

I don't know if there is that much we can do. I am not even sure how you would test a dog or cat.

I read about a survery that indicated that when the covid RAT kits are handed out to schoolchildren, a third of parents have stated they don't intend to test the kids twice a week at all, not unless they have symptoms. 

If people aren't that keen to test their kids, they definitely won't be testing their pets.

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

Where else would they catch it, as it isn't as if they attend parties or go visiting friends.

My dog would say...hold my beer.

He takes himself for a swim in the river (!km each way)  & visits 2 lots of friends 6km  away in different directions (they are my closest neighbours). They think it is funny when they call me to collect him in the ute when he he is too tired to walk back home.

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

😅Haha it sounds as if you have a very social country dog.

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

There was a huge culling of minks in Denmark in November 2020 after they became infected with COVID-19, and there were legitimate fears that the mink mutation was transmissible to humans.

Dogs and cats… no evidence that they can infect humans with COVID-19, although they (cats and dogs) can become infected by humans.

So… treat your pets kindly and don’t let them go to wild parties! 

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

5AC7B77E-9C5D-4EDB-9A44-7544D5620C31.jpeg

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

That does it - Boo Boo - is now grounded. lol

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

This guy too

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

New York Post

Faulty coronavirus kits suspected as goat and fruit test positive in Tanzania
By Ben Cost
May 6, 2020

Coronavirus test kits have aroused suspicions in Salaam, Tanzania after results taken from goats and fruit came back positive in what the country’s leader has dubbed a “technical error.” Tanzanian president John Magufuli memorably raised eyebrows earlier this week for touting an anti-COVID herbal tonic despite no scientific evidence that it cured the coronavirus.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/06/faulty-coronavirus-kits-suspected-as-goat-and-fruit-test-positive-in-t...

--------------------------------------------------------

I heard a pawpaw tested positive too.  Fruit flies?

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

Hmm, either the kits were faulty or else the leader is.

I am wondering if he has his own agenda.

There are some countries that are blatantly lying about their case numbers.

I was reading a report a couple of days ago that it is suspected that millions have died in India and numbers of deaths may be worse than in USA.

And China. Apparently, since the start of the pandemic, China has had a policy that if a person has any pre existing condition, their death cannot be attributed to covid.

To put that in perspective, just say someone got pneumonia and died, which happens a lot. Should we refuse to label the cause of death as pneumonia if that person also had eg a heart condition?

To me, pneumonia would be the primary cause although on death certificates here, underlying conditions would also be noted. 

What I'd like to see in the news case you mentioned is independent testing of the kits and a note as to where they were made.

My experience of the RAT kits available here is they seem to be reasonably accurate. Everyone I know who has tested positive has actually had symptoms. In fact we have one daughter we are sure was positive but tested neg & we think it is because she tested too early then  too late, so sometimes the kits don't detect it.

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply