Sam Stosur, whited sepulchre

Sam Stosur has talked about boycotting the Australian Open Tennis Tournament. The reason is that the Melbourne Tennis centre carries the name of Margaret Court, a former tennis champion, who has voiced her opposition to same sex unions. Stosur has every right to speak up and carry out her boycott of the Australian Open. However, she might like to explain why she played in the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships. While she stumbles around trying to justify her appearance in that tennis gig she might also like to explain her appearance in the Qatar Open. Dubai and Qatar are hardly in the vanguard of championing for same sex unions.

Qatar – a country notorious for its anti-gay laws – has been cleared to host the 2022 World Cup by football’s governing body.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/11/13/anti-gay-qatar-cleared-by-fifa-to-host-2022-world-cup/

Man Accused of “Gay Handshake” Stands Trial in Dubai

http://www.care2.com/causes/man-accused-of-gay-handshake-stands-trial-in-dubai.html

I wouldn't mind betting that Sam Stosur has flown with Etihad Airways on the odd occasion. Ms Stosur has the right to speak up but it would be nice if she didn't make a fool of herself.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Sam Stosur, whited sepulchre

Sam is undoubtedly the most frustrating sports person to watch IMO. But she is not on a mission to champion gay rights or any other issue. She responded to comments made about the subject. As you have pointed out, "she has every right to speak up". But lets not distort this by redirecting the focus on her; it is Margaret Court who has put up, not Sam. Expecting Sam to put up or shut up by avoiding tournaments such as Dubai and Qatar because she defended her co-players (and friends) is silly and off track IMO. She is a tennis player trying to make a living and achieve the highest ranking she can. But she had the guts and loyalty to defend her friends when in need. Good on her I say.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

I find the whole campaign against Margaret Court to be biased and ridiculous.

The centre was named after her because of her tennis ability, nothing else.

And Margaret Court is entitled to express her own opinions. It's decades since she was a tennis player, it has nothing to do with her past tennis career.

What people like Sam Stosir are saying is others only have the right to express politically correct opinions or else they should be boycotted.

Fact is, Margaret Court is expressing an opinion that is currently upheld by law here, so why should she be punished for this?

And village person is correct. If someone is so outraged by the opinion of Margaret Court that they would not play in the Australian Open, then I would expect them to be consistent, across the board. Qatar is notorious for being anti-gay.

Wouldn't it be enough for Stosir to simply say-I don't agree with her opinion? Is it really so outrageous that the entire Aust Open had to be boycotted? 

Margaret Court has every right to express an opinion. She has not committed a crime, just expressed an opinion. if others can express opinions that gay marriage is okay (remember, it is currently not legal here) and we don't punish them, how come Margaret Court is not accorded the same right without people threatening punishment?

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Are they not both 'just' expressing their opinions.?

margaret has expressed an opinion showing a degree of last century thinking of gay people eg: you can catch gayness by asosciation  (OMG i became gay because i sat on a seat a gay person sat on)

sam stosur has expressed an opinion no tennis center should be named after a person with such antigay views.

margret has now made herself look very silly.

sam has no more pull to get anything changed than most of us.

it will be interesting to see how those running tennis handle this silly argument.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I find the whole campaign against Margaret Court to be biased and ridiculous.

The centre was named after her because of her tennis ability, nothing else.

And Margaret Court is entitled to express her own opinions. It's decades since she was a tennis player, it has nothing to do with her past tennis career.

What people like Sam Stosir are saying is others only have the right to express politically correct opinions or else they should be boycotted.

Fact is, Margaret Court is expressing an opinion that is currently upheld by law here, so why should she be punished for this?

And village person is correct. If someone is so outraged by the opinion of Margaret Court that they would not play in the Australian Open, then I would expect them to be consistent, across the board. Qatar is notorious for being anti-gay.

Wouldn't it be enough for Stosir to simply say-I don't agree with her opinion? Is it really so outrageous that the entire Aust Open had to be boycotted? 

Margaret Court has every right to express an opinion. She has not committed a crime, just expressed an opinion. if others can express opinions that gay marriage is okay (remember, it is currently not legal here) and we don't punish them, how come Margaret Court is not accorded the same right without people threatening punishment?

I don't think Sam Stoser and some of the other male and female tennis players have become so upset by her so called politically correct opinions. I think they are far more upset by her comments about Casey Dellacqua and her son. There is nothing politically correct about those personal comments.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

calling the children of gay people 'the devils work' kinda makes margaret look homophobic. same as saying back in her day the lesbians took the 'yung'uns' to gay partys to 'turn em'

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

Image result for the dark side meme

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

@not_for_sale2017 wrote:

I don't think Sam Stoser and some of the other male and female tennis players have become so upset by her so called politically correct opinions. I think they are far more upset by her comments about Casey Dellacqua and her son. There is nothing politically correct about those personal comments.

They can be upset if they wish to be. I am not agreeing necessarily with everything Margaret Court says or thinks. It isn't really relevant.

But where it becomes silly is any current player saying they would not appear in the Aust Open because of the name of the stadium.

As for those who have power to change the name, if they have any sense they will just ignore it all.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

with any luck, the authorities will decide the game is bigger than the participants.

the arena was named for the persons tennis not her views on gay marriage.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply