Scanning Old photos

I have old photos that require scanning to digital. I've tried Officeworks but the quality isn't that great compare with the original. Any scanner or service you recommend?

BTW. Hi everyone. 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Scanning Old photos

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Do you really need to scan them?

Could you photograph them with a good quality camera.

I had success photographing old photos from the mid 1850s onto a film camera years ago so I can't see why it would not work with a digital camera now.

There is a good photo restoration service in Sydney...Monte Luke.  My grandmother used them years ago to have some water damaged photos restored.   As they are still in operation I assume they are still as good as they were 50 years ago.

The only scanning service I know of is Photo Digital Services in Blacktown....some friends used them and were very happy.

Both the above businesses have websites.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Scanning Old photos

Years ago when travelling overseas I met my Nan's cousin. They had spent a lifetime apart. She pulled out all these photo abums of

childhood memories.

To bring the memories home to Nan I video taped all her photo albums nice and slow and with a steady hand. It was a great way to store so many images all at once.

As for the photos being scanned, maybe go see someone like Harvey Norman if you have one close by. They seem to have good computer and camera experts on hand. Depending how many you have to scan they might have a scanner they recommend for home use where you can do it yourself in great quality.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Scanning Old photos

I was wondering when someone was going to mention simply buying a scanner.........Canon has the LiDE220 for under 100 bucks (US).

This is a scan of a photo from 1968, using the Canon LiDE110........

avisailor.jpg

The original was a Polaroid....note the defects.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Scanning Old photos

when scanning, change the setting from photo, to document.

Use high quality settings for everything else.

The old photographs dont scan as clear as the newer ones, so I have found just changing this one setting, worked a treat.

Man Happy

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Scanning Old photos

We bought a scanner from office works, I think it is an HP and cost about $150.00 it does negatives, photos and slides.  We have scanned all our photos, negatives and slides to our computers sorted them into albums and then downloaded to disc/USB so we can give to family members.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Scanning Old photos

I have a scanner on my printer.  I just scan the photos onto my camera card then import them onto my computer.  I then edit them in my picture folder (windows 7) and send them to a usb plug and take them to office works and print them - you can adjust them again if needed.

photo 214a93fa3a9e326200857a2dbc30e730_zps379416e4.jpg
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Scanning Old photos

Hi band. I'm interested in the story of your photo.  I thought the last of the Indefatigable's was scrapped in the mid 50s?  I'm not disputing what you said, I'm just curious. How did you(?) manage to be wearing one of her caps in 1968?  

I've heard of these ships via my FiL who is an old RN man (and I loved the Hornblower TV series lol)

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply