Shorten Sinking Fast

moonflyte
Community Member

Deadweight Shorten sinking fast

•  

Malcolm Turnbull’s ascension to the prime ministership has so dramatically transformed the political landscape that senior Labor figures across the nation are bracing for a potential bloodbath at the next election.

Extensive Labor polling and focus group research undertaken by the party’s national secretariat before Christmas shows that up to a dozen Labor-held seats are at risk of falling to the Liberals as voters recoil at the prospect of a Bill Shorten prime ministership.

Yet the research has also given Labor hope that a strong anti-GST campaign will help to hold some seats. But it reveals that a tax scare campaign may not be enough to stem the Turnbull tide in predominantly middle-class seats with a strong aspirational and entrepreneurial voter cohort.

The polling undertaken by pollsters UMR in marginal seats — which included individual assessments of sitting members — has not been shared fully with MPs or with Shorten and his office. When combined with recent polling by several state branches, it makes for very bleak reading for Labor.

In NSW, the party faces the loss of Julie Owens’s seat of Parramatta and has cause to fear that Tanya Plibersek’s seat of Sydney and Matt Thistlethwaite’s seat of Kingsford-Smith are in danger. Richmond, held by Justine Elliot, is also a concern. There is no hope the party can win the marginal Liberal seat of Reid, held by Craig Laundy. But Labor is eyeing the Liberal seat of Dobell, held by Karen McNamara, and Nickolas Varvaris’s seat of Barton.

In Victoria, four seats are at risk: Chisholm and Bruce, both with retiring MPs; Isaacs, held by Mark Dreyfus; and Melbourne Ports, held by Michael Danby. The party is less concerned about ­McEwen, held by Rob Mitchell, and Bendigo, held by Lisa Chesters. Labor has not given up on winning back Sarah Henderson’s seat of Corangamite and Jason Wood’s seat of LaTrobe.

Elsewhere, the figures are not as bad. There are concerns that Labor’s Terri Butler is in a tight contest in the Queensland seat of Griffith and there is some worry about Wayne Swan in Lilley and Graham Perrett in Moreton. The Liberal-held seat of Hindmarsh in South Australia has been polled, showing Labor is competitive.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/columnists/troy-bramston/dead-weight-shorten-sinking-fast-in...

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Shorten Sinking Fast

@debra9275 wrote:

here you go Julia- 

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2016/02/01/abbott-meets-obama-in-washington.html?utm_camp...

Tony Abbott has reportedly held a private meeting with US President Barack Obama in Washington.

The former prime minister also held secret talks with the president's spy chief, News Corp reported on Monday, noting that the meetings could irk Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

-

if you read on, its says:

Mr Abbott and Mr Obama met at an exclusive banquet on Saturday night, with sources saying the two had a very warm and intimate discussion.

i suppose some would assume 

exclusive banquet meant private

dinner. always a good idea to 

read the whole story. "clickbait" 

is a common tactic, even on this

forum Smiley Happy

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Community-Spirit/What-A-Dumped-PM-Does-In-His-Spare-Time/m-p/1915799...

Abbott meets Obama and spy chief in US

TONY Abbott privately met Barack Obama at an exclusive banquet in Washington on a US trip already mired in controversy.

The former prime minister also held secret talks with the president’s spy chief, TheDaily Telegraph reported, and was urged to maintain a global voice on critical issues such as terrorism.

View solution in original post

Message 27 of 42
Latest reply

Shorten Sinking Fast

@djilukjilly wrote:

It was discussed on Sky with a Labor MP.

I can inform this debate about the ALP MP who heads up the Anyone But Albanese campaign. After doing some research I can now identify the guy; his name is Bill Shorten. He reckons Albanese would be a lousy leader because of the empty space above his shoulders.

View solution in original post

Message 30 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Shorten Sinking Fast

esayaf
Community Member
If Turnbull has so dramatically changed the political atmosphere.
Then why is nothing different.
Whatever the name these are the same old people running their own agenda. More interested in 15% super contributions than representing the people that voted them in.
None of them remember that they are the elected representatives of the people. They say one thing to get in then do whatever they want once they are in.
Don't forget that extraordinary statement from Tony Abbott before the election "I'd sell my ar.e to be Prime Minister" but unfortunately he sold the integrity and reputation of our country. Never forget this is our country not theirs. We the people are the country not the privileged few
Message 2 of 42
Latest reply

Shorten Sinking Fast

@djilukjilly wrote:

Deadweight Shorten sinking fast

•  

Malcolm Turnbull’s ascension to the prime ministership has so dramatically transformed the political landscape that senior Labor figures across the nation are bracing for a potential bloodbath at the next election.

Extensive Labor polling and focus group research undertaken by the party’s national secretariat before Christmas shows that up to a dozen Labor-held seats are at risk of falling to the Liberals as voters recoil at the prospect of a Bill Shorten prime ministership.

[...]

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/columnists/troy-bramston/dead-weight-shorten-sinking-fast-in...

It's much worse than you think. In an unguarded moment Mr Shorten said he would be voting for Malcolm Turnbull. 

Message 3 of 42
Latest reply

Shorten Sinking Fast

I prefer Albanese myself....

Message 4 of 42
Latest reply

Shorten Sinking Fast

moonflyte
Community Member

The buzz word going around Labor is ABA which means anybody but Albanese. I wonder what they have against him, is it because he is left faction?

Message 5 of 42
Latest reply

Shorten Sinking Fast

How would you know what "buzz " word is going around Labor?

Message 6 of 42
Latest reply

Shorten Sinking Fast

This is what you get when you google "anybody but Albanese"

image.png

The the most recent entry on page 1 is dated Nov 2015 and it says  The Liberals should not doom Albanese - News.com.au .  

Not sure if that's how you define "buzz word", but I'm sure you have much better inside knowledge of the Labor party that little ol' Google.  Care to share?

Message 7 of 42
Latest reply

Shorten Sinking Fast

moonflyte
Community Member

It was discussed on Sky with a Labor MP.

Message 8 of 42
Latest reply

Shorten Sinking Fast

That's unreadable.

Message 9 of 42
Latest reply

Shorten Sinking Fast

What programme, which Labor MP?

Message 10 of 42
Latest reply