Should We Ban Australia Day As Well?

We are after all celebrating the landing of the First Fleet on January 26th 1988...

Aldi pulls 'racist' T-shirts after online outrage

Discount supermarket chain Aldi has pulled an Australia Day T-shirt and singlet from its stores amid claims on social media that designs featured on the garments were racist.

Complaints that the range of promotional T-shirts with 'AUSTRALIA EST 1788' logos were racist led to people targeting @ALDIAustralia on Twitter and calling for them to be withdrawn.

The T-shirts and singlets were scheduled to go on sale on this week in the lead up to January 26.

Twitter users slammed the design as racist and culturally insensitive to indigenous Australians, who inhabited the continent for thousands of years before Europeans arrived.

Click Here For Article

Perhaps we should abandon the celebration altogether.

Message 1 of 118
Latest reply
117 REPLIES 117

I am sure that Aldi had those same t/shirts on sale last year for Australia Day and no one complained then, so why now?

Message 2 of 118
Latest reply

**meep**
Community Member

wow!   i don't know what to say........

I have always thought Australia was lagging behind in education standards, but this is Australian history we're talking about.......Sad...

Message 3 of 118
Latest reply

Why do we need to Ban Australia Day?

Withdrawing 'racist , culturally insensitve & historically wrong' T shirts, from sale by one supermarket doesn't mean Australia Day should be cancelled.

Message 4 of 118
Latest reply

Well, Australia was not estabalished in 1788.  Is this the only shirt objected to?  If so, I agree with the objections.

Message 5 of 118
Latest reply

Yes, it was the only one objected too.

“The remainder of the range will still be available to consumers at $4.99 each.”

Message 6 of 118
Latest reply

Do they sell "I am an uneducated, culturally insensitive Aussie" tshirts?

Message 7 of 118
Latest reply

I agree with the removal of the t-shirts.

Maybe we should have a National day of celebration on a different date, rather than on the day white occupation began

Message 8 of 118
Latest reply

@just_me_karen wrote:
Do they sell "I am an uneducated, culturally insensitive Aussie" tshirts?

Probably in Bali

Message 9 of 118
Latest reply

Every Country has a 'National Day'.

What date do you propose for Australia?

Message 10 of 118
Latest reply